What Type of AK-47?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OggieO

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am considering buying my first AK-47. I have read a lot, but everyone has their opinions. I have read that the Yugo AKs are better made, but you have to spend a little more money.

I want a good shooter so I am looking for some input from those with experience. I don't mind spending a little more, because like everything else, you get what you pay for.

What do ya'll think?

Let me know,
OggieO

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would buy a WASR for your first AK-47. Contrary to what gun snobs say they are very reliable, about as an AK-47 can be, and cheaper than the rest. My first AK was a WASR. I had if for four years, put thousands of rounds thru it without ONE SINGLE failure. I took the wood furniture off of it, put on a $20 set of black plastic handguards, $49 folding stock and sold it for $200 more than I paid for it. I then went to the gun shop and bought another WASR the same day.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to OSA. I had a WASR and didn't have any problems with it but I've heard you need ti be able to inspect it before you buy it do to some having canted front sights. However the cheapest prices are online so you have to take your chances if you want to save money.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to OSA. I had a WASR and didn't have any problems with it but I've heard you need ti be able to inspect it before you buy it do to some having canted front sights. However the cheapest prices are online so you have to take your chances if you want to save money.

+1 I wouldn't buy one without inspecting it first.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also suggesting getting a fixed stock over a folding stock.

Folding stocks limit your upgrade options. You can't get adjustable stocks, and most of them dont have the scope rail mount on the side.

OneUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can do alright on a WASR if you have a chance to inspect it first. If your going to purchase it sight unseen, go with a Saiga/Arsenal. The odds are far better that the Saiga won't have issues that are common with the WASR (canted sights, rear sight block, etc)

OggieO

New to the site!
Reaction score
Questions:

gmar - I have heard the term "canted sights". Does that simply mean the sights are installed crooked?

I never thought about upgrades. I have been wondering about fixed stock versus folder. Thanks Quick Draw.

Several of you say the WASRs are good if you inspect them. I had heard a lot of negative from those who didn't hand select. I might need to look at some local shops and take a look.

One last question. Anyone have a good mail order source for 7.62x39 ammo? A rifle without ammo is just an expensive club!

Thanks,
OggieO

Latest posts

Top Bottom