what would you guys do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of hunting over water. It can rain at random and they can get water from numerous places. If there's even a small crater in the ground and it rains they will drink out of it. Bucks can travel a good distance in a day. Just keep spitting that corn out and they will come.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of hunting over water. It can rain at random and they can get water from numerous places. If there's even a small crater in the ground and it rains they will drink out of it. Bucks can travel a good distance in a day. Just keep spitting that corn out and they will come.
i wasn't going to hunt over the water, just have water available to them on the place. this is real sandy soil and water just goes right through it when it rains

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't worry about the water. If they are on your lease, they are there for a reason. A deer can go one third of a mile in a very few minutes without breaking a sweat, and if they are in a hurry, it's under a minute. They consider your place well watered and don't understand property lines or fences.

Logistics of providing water are brutal (I have watered cows 'way too many times). Don't worry about it. Provide what you convenietly can.

I have developed a cheap bait that works well for me. I get the cheapest WalMart apple juice, put some dry corn in a gallon ziplock bag, cover it with juice, squeeze out the air, and let it set overnight. Don't fill the bag over half full. The corn will swell and make a heck of a mess.

Once it's all soaked up, I dump it in little piles where deer have been seen or have left tracks. They absolutely love it. Last bow season I saw two small bucks leave a doe they had been sparring over, and get into a fight over the corn. Everything else likes it too. Hogs, coons, turkeys, armadillos, etc. etc.

Sounds like you have a good place leased. CB

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have developed a cheap bait that works well for me. I get the cheapest WalMart apple juice, put some dry corn in a gallon ziplock bag, cover it with juice, squeeze out the air, and let it set overnight. Don't fill the bag over half full. The corn will swell and make a heck of a mess.

Im going to have to try this

Latest posts

Top Bottom