What's a decent price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What's frustrating is when you see an item here in the classified that you'd like to have but they're advertising it for what it would cost new....or often even more. There's an item on the site right now that I'd like to have but the owner has it offered for $300-$400 above what you can see them going for all over armslist. Now that's his right but I'm less inclined to make an offer, since it will most likely offend him. Sometimes I'd like to go cut and paste all the links to similar items just to prove the point but I'm sure that would be seen as improper etiquette also. You can't help but wonder how some of these guys come up with their offering prices. Maybe they don't have internet and can't research and actually see what the market value of their item is? I think most likely it's the, "this is what I have into it so that's what I want out of it" mentality.
It all depends on what things are selling for on the local market but sometimes people over pay for something then when they go to sell it they usually ask too much for it.

These people probably don't research prices much, or they just have to have it now, so that's why they over paid in the first place. These people are pricing their used stuff based on what they paid, not necessarily what it's going for locally.

Sometimes it's trying to take advantage of a buyer that doesn't bother researching local pricing and is willing to over pay.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all depends on what things are selling for on the local market but sometimes people over pay for something then when they go to sell it they usually ask too much for it.

These people probably don't research prices much, or they just have to have it now, so that's why they over paid in the first place. These people are pricing their used stuff based on what they paid, not necessarily what it's going for locally.

Sometimes it's trying to take advantage of a buyer that doesn't bother researching local pricing and is willing to over pay.
Doesn't work well on all us cheap guys here.....we're like Toydarian's.....Jedi gun prices don't work on us.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted an ad looking for a used Colt Defender at a "decent price". One of the members responded with, "What's a decent price?" I'm sure we all have our own opitions but it got me to thinking how I would personally answer this question. Using the Defender as an example here's my approach.

1) What does it cost new? Another memeber had a post on the Defender and sent me a link from where he got his, shows a price of $819. The stainless is a bit more but not by much.
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/c...ender-45acp-3-and-quot-blue-black-cherry-7rd/

Checking another popular site, buds, to further get an idea of a new one. Showed $832

2) Researching what they are going for on Armslist and Gunbroker. Looking through all the ads and saw prices from $675 to $900 depending on modifications, accessories and condition.

Here's a stainless for $750 with accessories per the armslist ad:
(2) Colt mags (3) Chip McCormick mags (1) IWB Hoster. VZ installed grips. Upgraded with custom installed ambi safety! Original grips included(not shown) also included will be a bnib alien gear 3.5 shell(not shown).
https://www.armslist.com/posts/8812...s-for-sale-trade--colt-defender--45-stainless

I tried to get the guy to ship it to me but he didn't want to mess with it.

3) I stopped by a couple gun stores, the last being B&D gunroom in Shawnee to inquire about a Defender. The clerk said he had just sold, the day before, their last one. I asked how much it went for and he said $800. The other gun store had none and couldn't offer a price.

Sooooo.....after taking all the research into account, I feel I can personally, for me, determine what a "decent" pice would be. For me, a used Defender still in "decent shape", with a few accessories, would most likely go for $700-$750. A well used one with no accessories? Maybe $650-$675?

Now someone can start a thread on, "What is decent shape?"..........
Does buds or xyz online seller charge tax, shipping? Are you getting transfers for free?
THAT IS A COST TO CONSIDER.
I’d pay more FTF just to not use gunbroker or armslist but that is just me.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll throw a wrench at your wrench. I have a Sig Sauer 1911u that will eat any ammo you put in it.

Oh yeah? Will eat eat .380ACP? How about 22LR? Or maybe 45 GAP? 38 Special? 9mm +P? .32ACP? How about 308? 30-06? 50 Cal black powder loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's frustrating is when you see an item here in the classified that you'd like to have but they're advertising it for what it would cost new....or often even more. There's an item on the site right now that I'd like to have but the owner has it offered for $300-$400 above what you can see them going for all over armslist. Now that's his right but I'm less inclined to make an offer, since it will most likely offend him. Sometimes I'd like to go cut and paste all the links to similar items just to prove the point but I'm sure that would be seen as improper etiquette also. You can't help but wonder how some of these guys come up with their offering prices. Maybe they don't have internet and can't research and actually see what the market value of their item is? I think most likely it's the, "this is what I have into it so that's what I want out of it" mentality.
And their user name usually says "New to the site!"

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I'll throw a wrench in the gears. Be careful on defenders or anything in a 1911 with a barrel shorter then Commander size. They seem to be picky on what they like to eat.

I've had zero trouble with anything I've fed my Defender. I will say that everything so far had a brass case, but that's about it. Maybe I'm just a lucky soul!

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
colt.jpg

Found my new in the box Colt Defender lightweight stainless yesterday. Gave $600 cash and a beat up Beretta 92s that I gave a couple hundred for, so more or less $800. I can live with that....

Latest posts

Top Bottom