What's causing these rings on my bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just started to reload .300 Blackout and noticed these rings/marks on the bullets. I'm using Hornady dies which I've never used before. The bullet seating dies has the anti can't sleeve in it which is kind of different. Any idea what I need to do to keep from putting the marks on my bullets? I've tried backing out the die some...maybe back it out more?

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that particular die, but the insert in the seating die is causing the deformation of the bullet nose. You may need to take a bullet and some lapping compound to open up the die insert so that it doesn't ring the bullets. An adjustment may fix it as well, but I'm not familiar with that die.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Inside of your necks are either rough, dirty or undersized. This will be very apparent if you are loading thinner jacket bullets like certain Noslers. How do you clean your brass after sizing?

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Inside of your necks are either rough, dirty or undersized. This will be very apparent if you are loading thinner jacket bullets like certain Noslers. How do you clean your brass after sizing?

This is new/manufactured brass from Ozark Ordinance, so I haven't cleaned it yet.

Take a look on Hornadys reloading web site for a custom seating stem for the bullet you are using it will fix the problem. This link will get you in the right area you need the one for your bullet. http://www.hornady.com/store/Custom-Seating-Stem-308-Cal-155-178-gr-A-MAX-1-Each/

Thanks for the heads up! Like I said, first time I've ever used these dies and I've never seen the anti cant seating stem before.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone who is SAF wouldn't be bothered by it. If you were conxerned about accuracy you'd be filing and polishing them all by hand ALA Tom Berenger style.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
your not using a bulky powder that's making a compressed load are you?

It's a subsonic load, so it's only 11g of H4198. So it shouldn't be compressed.

Anyone who is SAF wouldn't be bothered by it. If you were conxerned about accuracy you'd be filing and polishing them all by hand ALA Tom Berenger style.

That's funny stuff! What's SAF? I don't mind the marks as long as it doesn't mess with the accuracy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom