What's Hangin on this M-16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The below pic is a trooper in Afghanistan. The M-16 he's carrying is adorned by a couple of things I have no clue what they are.

The M-16 I was issued back in '71 looked like a rifle. This thing looks like something out of a sci-fi movie.

Besides the ACOG (is that right?) on the top rear what the heck is that thing mounted top front? What is the thing mounted to the right just below that other strange looking unit?
static.guim.co.uk_sys_images_Guardian_About_General_2011_10_126bc7a3b1c0d570ba140ac5aa37acc46e.jpg

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ACOG, Surefire flashlight and a PEQ series, probably a 15, IR Illuminator/Designator....the cat's a$$ when it comes to taking the night.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ACOG, Surefire and a PEQ series, probably a 15, IR Illuminator/Designator....the cat's a$$ when it comes to taking the night.

So - that thing on the side that kind'a looks like a scope is a flashlight and the thing on the top is an IR flashlight? Is there some kind of Night Vision adapter attached to the ACOG at night?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF I remember correctly, the IR unit projects a beam similar to a laser which can only be seen when you're using night vision equipment.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So - that thing on the side that kind'a looks like a scope is a flashlight and the thing on the top is an IR flashlight? Is there some kind of Night Vision adapter attached to the ACOG at night?

Kinda like an IR flashlight...it has two beams. One is an illuminating cone, like an IR flashlight, and the other is an IR laser pinpoint designator...so with when the soldier is wearing NV he can find/identify targets with the illuminator and then aim at them, as well as point it out to squad mates, with the designator. The designator gets zeroed just like the weapon's iron sights/optics. The rifleman can turn one or the other on, both on, or both off...just depends on your situation. I remember the illuminator caused a lot of "splashback" in my NV so I rarely used it...NV and the designator was good enough.

Pretty impressive watching an entire patrol "designate" a target in the pitch black night...without the target having a clue what is about to happen.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Off the forum topic but
SMS thank you for protecting us and our freedom.
Thanks for your service!

And thats an cool pic!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PEQ-15s also have a visible red laser as well. We were issued those back in our 2008-2009 A-stan deployment.

Speaking of that...maybe we had this conversation but I dont remember...is your avatar photo from Ghazni? I remember some guys paying the midget at our bazaar to put on a similar costume back in '07. (we were still rocking the PEQ-2s in '07 but they were light years ahead of anything I carried into the AOR in '02/'03)

(P.S...thanks harrybear)

Last edited:

Subsonic

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the Kunar Province with 1-26 IN and we replaced the 173rd when Wanat went down. Our CA guys had that picture hanging on their door and they relayed the story of the midget charging $1 per picture, $2 per picture of him flipping you off. I don't recall the exact location they said that it was in but your guess sounds right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom