What's in a name?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. As some of you may or may not know, I have a problem keeping guns. Yes, it's true. Over the past 20 years (+/-) I'll bet I've bought, sold and traded more ordnance than everybody on this forum combined.

My most recent "desire" is for a 1911. Try not to babble, GMThunder. ;)

With the "desire" for a 1911, the Smith & Wesson Commander sized "Gunsite" edition is the one that has caught my eye the most. IMO, it has everything you need and nothing that you don't. I really don't want a FLGR nor do I need an ambi safety. I have a deal cooking with a member now on one, but logistics may or may not keep us from making a trade. :grumble:

Anyway...that really has no bearing on the topic of this thread. Well...yeah, I guess maybe it does. :scratch:

Today I had a few minutes between transports, so I stopped in my local toy store to see what was new. For 5 bills, he had two .45s that I kinda admired. They were both Rock Island Armory 1911s: One was the standard 5 incher and the other was the smaller Officer's size. They both had "custom" features such as a slotted/Commander style hammer, high sweep beavertail grip safety, FLG rods and a flat, checkered MSH. They both had slotted triggers, but they weren't the longer trigger that you see on most pistols. :ugh2:

The 5 incher also wore an ambi thumb safety and Novak style sights and the Officer's model had G.I. type sights and a bushingless, bull barrel. Both are new in the box and were blued with wooden stocks.

Now then. Does Colt, Kimber, Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory REALLY make a better .45 than the RIA? Are they REALLY worth damn near twice as much as the $500 price tag on the RIA models? Or are you basically buying the name when you purchase a Kimber, Colt or Smith & Wesson? Also...is the 3.5" Officer's model more prone to malfs because of it's shorter stroke? I've always heard that in a 1911 platform, you really don't wanna go any shorter than a Commander size for this very reason.

FWIW, the guy also had a Smith & Wesson 5 incher too. The only "big" difference I could tell was the sights had the 3 dot system and the trigger might have been a half a pound lighter. Other than that (and the stainless finish) I couldn't tell a whole lotta difference betwixt the two.

Of course...I'm not the 1911 aficionado that most here are, so I might have missed something. :rolleyes2

Your thoughts and comments please. :chat:

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a RIA that I won't shoot anything but light handloads through. I mean cast lead semi-wad cutters that barely cycle the action.

The slide is soft enough that the slide stop is peening the slide stop notch and the locking lugs are starting to round a little. The trigger is garbage and it feels like there is sand in the action. I would take the time to fix all of these things, but it is not worth it.

It belonged to my dad's good friend before he passed or I wouldn't keep it.

For a few bucks more buy something not made in the third world.

Rob

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a RIA that I won't shoot anything but light handloads through. I mean cast lead semi-wad cutters that barely cycle the action.

The slide is soft enough that the slide stop is peening the slide stop notch and the locking lugs are starting to round a little. The trigger is garbage and it feels like there is sand in the action. I would take the time to fix all of these things, but it is not worth it.

It belonged to my dad's good friend before he passed or I wouldn't keep it.

For a few bucks more buy something not made in the third world.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I guess you really do get what you pay for, huh? ;)

Short version (a concept you seem to struggle with :)) YES

Yeah, I know...I know. :rolleyes2

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Citadel, which is basically a RIA dressed up a bit, and I am considering getting rid of the Colt government model. I really like shooting the officer model and it shoots way better than the Colt. The only reason I still have the Colt is, I have a policy about buying and not ever selling guns, lol. I have to get over that!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Citadel, which is basically a RIA dressed up a bit, and I am considering getting rid of the Colt government model. I really like shooting the officer model and it shoots way better than the Colt. The only reason I still have the Colt is, I have a policy about buying and not ever selling guns, lol. I have to get over that!

NO! YOU DON'T HAFTA GET OVER THAT! :angry3:

I wish I could hang onto guns. It's a sickness, I tell you...a real sickness. :cry3:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it ain't a Colt, it's just a copy. :thumb:

*sigh* :rolleyes2

I do own one little pony...a Colt cobra snubbie from 1974. Not a bad revolver but the last time I toted it, I noticed a slight problem when dry firing. About every 15-20 trigger pulls, it acts like it doesn't wanna pull through.

I haven't carried it since and I'm afraid it's gonna need to go to the doctor. As scarce as Colt smitties are, that'll cost me an arm and a leg! :yikes2:

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For about a bill more than the RIA I would look at the STI Spartan.
Olyeller has sold several in the past and could tell you much more about them than I could.
I have an STI Ranger its an officers model and I haven't had any issues with it.
Let me know and you can shoot it anytime if you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom