What's in a name?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the STI, or Springer... if you can find an older Kimber for a good price, go for it.

I think the most important question... what do you want to spend, and what are your "requirements" (Govt, Commander or Officer? Stainless or blued?)?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless Springfield Armory has changed, their guns are made in Brazil which I think is a third world country.

As for the Sti spartan, it's made in the same factory as Ria.
So is the Citadel. --Armscor of the Philippines

I have been looking at the American Classic ll which has gotten good revues
it's also made in PI but by a different company called Metro Arms.

Another one that looked good is the Iver Johnson Eagle
it's made in PI also. It got a pretty good writeup but its a little higher priced
and only available thru dealers that buy from RSR.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After a long talk with myself and reading some comments on other forums, I think I'll just stick with my wheelguns. I know where they are made and I know a good one from a bad one. :thumb:

Besides, I think spending close to a grand for a 1911 is crazy. Definitely a price I can't afford with MY salary! :cry3:

Maybe someday. But for now...I'll stick with a good old fashioned Smith & Wesson six gun. :naughty:

Thanks for all the comments fellas! :wave:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking for a good American-made 1911, check out the Auto Ordinance / Thompson 1911s. They're made in the USA and actually pretty faithful to most of the GI specs (there is some MiM usage, and my older one had some casting marks that could have been cleaned up, but they're easily worth the money).

Man, this thread has me missing my 1911 badly.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cylinder & Slide makes the gun show circuit. When they set up a table they generally have some 1911's in the $500 range. These are Essex frames with USGI parts. Real bargain in my opinion, a much better deal than RIA.

Oh yeah, my post "If it ain't a Colt, it's just a copy" - I was referring to 1911's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:thumb:

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
iv got a RIA, KIMBER & COLT, I can tell a big difference in the K & C versus the RIA but (i think) for the money you cant beat the RIA, if you can afford anything more go for it, to me its like my KEL-TEC and my GLOCKS for the money i like the KEL-TEC but for a few more $$$ the GLOCKS are a step up...good luck man :patriot:we all got issues :screwy:sometimes the only thing similar is it about guns...

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have much 1911 experience at all and only own one, a RIA Officers model with the small sights. It's fine for my needs and won't have thousands of rounds ran through it. I don't ever see myself getting the 1911 bug and dropping a wad of cash on one. If I did it would be a Colt probably.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i've had two RIA .45's and never had a problem with either of them. The only thing was with the nickel one i had i couldnt find a nickel beavertail because sometime between 2006 and 2009 RIA changed the grip safety angle a little bit so it was more pointed downwards and it dug into my hand and i didnt like that so i sold it, but straight out of the box it never had a malfunction. I would buy a RIA over a colt or kimber because i am a scottish cheapass and i'd rather not pay for a name when a RIA will go bang every time just as well as a colt or kimber

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have only owned Rock Islands, so I can't speak about the others. I am very happy with mine. I have both the Tactical and the Compact. They're not the prettiest 1911's I've ever seen, but they are both accurate and reliable. If I had it to do over, I'd buy them again.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been issued everything from a USS to a Colt. I've owned AMT's, Colts, Springfields, Essex Franken-11A1's, and some others. If I get back into another 1911A1 it will be to my making. Commander length, ambi-safety (small not those extended one's), no FLGR, arched MSH, choped and lowered ejection port, with figure eight night sights.

As to a name, lots of good companies out there, and each has it's lemon's!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom