What's that in my stand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL. At least he waited until you weren't there. I had one climb the tree I was in. I think they are about half blind. I had to poke him in the nose with a broadhead before he would climb down.

I've also had them try to curl up with me when I was sitting on the ground.

I would have left him too, but would have gone to another stand to hunt.

At least you now know to check before stepping into the stand. I would hate to see what happens if you run into one by surprise at 15-20ft off the ground.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had them hit pointers hard enough that I had to take them to a vet. One brittney got a mouth full of quills and the vet was pulling quills out that went through the roof of his mouth and just poked out the top of the snout. Kill em if you see em, although the mental image of someone chucking rocks at one in a tree is great fun.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We blast a few every year we hunt on my dad's. I think this was the first year though that we killed more deer than porcupines. Normally we catch them in the trees that are in the bottom of the canyon on the property. When you're up on the rim, they're either at eye level with you or right below you. I've seen them explode using 30-06 165NBTs and .357 158 SP. My FIL this year took care of one with his 300.

As J.T. mentioned, we kill them every chance we get. Not much fun pulling quills out of a bird dog.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen one in the wild around Ponca City, although I saw a road killed one on black bear creek one morning just north of stillwater.

I wonder if the vehicle that hit it got a couple of flat tires?

Latest posts

Top Bottom