What's that in my stand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen them hanging around the camp grounds at little sahara...only time I have seen them in the wild, so to speak.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer to let them walk. Most places out west they discourage you from shooting them because they are one of the few species that can be easily caught and killed with items like a stick or a big rock, they aren't very fast. So if someone gets lost hiking or something and has no firearm or bow and are in dire need of nourishment, they can kill a porcupine fairly easily. Just watch out for the quills when you're cleaning it!

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first time I ever heard they were in OK was when we were hunting N. of Seiling. My cousin from CA said he saw a porcupine while hunting one evening. We laughed at him and pretty much called him an idiot. Little did I know that they were everywhere up there.

I caught one on an oil rig flat one day and it started running. I chased after it with my hat and swatted it on the butt. I got a dozen or so good quills in that hat, that was fun.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IMG_0043.jpg

Another time I chased one into a ditch just to get some pictures of it. I hear all the Quail hunters want them killed. I hear that bird dogs are bad about sticking their nose in em and getting full of quills. I think they're kinda fun to watch, but they're probably like climbing beavers. Eating all the bark from trees and killing everything in site, except for the cedars.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IMG_0001.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IMG_0003.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom