Wheat Penny Experts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about them?

I have a couple of big pickle jars full of them and always assumed they were worth some good money but ??? :anyone:

I really don't want to take the time to search through all of them to see if there are any good dates, but is that the only way to get good money for them? ARE there any really good key dates on wheat pennies anyway that I should bother with?

I just hate to be missing out on that million $ penny by selling them too cheap.

WWYD? I'm open to any and all advice.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are some key dates that are worth much more money than most of them, the 1909 S VDB is one for example. I THINK the 1921D is another if memory serves me. I went from US coins to ancient greek and roman coins years ago.

The vast majority of them are not worth much unless in uncirculated condition, and even then only a buck or two.... unless it is a more rare coin.

Like said above, chances are small that you have a valuable coin just from the law of averages where there are so many years that were not valuable vs that few years that are.....

That being said, there ARE valuable coins out there, and SOMEBODY has them in their jars full of wheat pennies out there.

Get a grandkid and have some fun going through them, and hopefully get a new coin collector started, we are a dying breed.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://coins.about.com/library/coin_values/bl_wheat_cents.htm

it varies...condition year, code and buyer will all play a role. I shouldn't have let go of the ones I had when I was younger (early teens like 13-14)

you would have to sort through them all. odds not in your favor to have anything good.

Thanks Zombie... It looks like there are some middle of the road key dates that bring good money without being the super rare ones.

What are the chances of finding any of those though? I guess I could let my daughter sort through them and seperate by year and then I'd have a better shot at it. Pay her off in wooden nickels :)

So has anyone ever taken them to a dealer to sell? What do they REALLY give you for them? Is it better to have them sorted by date then anyway or do they care?

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A dealer isnt going to give you much for them, he has to mark them up for profit and then sit on them until a buyer comes along. If you find some rare or semi rare coins, ebay would probably get you more than the average dealer would.

And if you want to just dump them, list a thousand for x amount of money on ebay and let someone else have the fun of searching them.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A dealer isnt going to give you much for them, he has to mark them up for profit and then sit on them until a buyer comes along. If you find some rare or semi rare coins, ebay would probably get you more than the average dealer would.

And if you want to just dump them, list a thousand for x amount of money on ebay and let someone else have the fun of searching them.

OK cool. Thanks!

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This reminds me of when I was a kid. I had 2 small glass piggy banks,
One with wheat pennys and the other with silver quarters and dimes.
My brother emptied the one with the silver coins in it and went to QT
And bought a bunch of candy, gum and a drink! I was so mad when I
found out a Few hours later, went to QT and found just a few in the till.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This reminds me of when I was a kid. I had 2 small glass piggy banks,
One with wheat pennys and the other with silver quarters and dimes.
My brother emptied the one with the silver coins in it and went to QT
And bought a bunch of candy, gum and a drink! I was so mad when I
found out a Few hours later, went to QT and found just a few in the till.

OH man that sucks! Especially considering what those would be worth today! That ended up being some expensive treats.

Latest posts

Top Bottom