Wheat Penny Experts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took a couple of large bottles of regular pennies to the credit union and got rid of. Had saved for quite a few years of pocket change.

Have a blue book that held pennies from early 1900's. oldest was 1909, worth $1.15. Got it as a kid.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a steel 1943 wheat penny, and a 1963 penny with Kennedys' head stamped beside Lincoln

IMO the holy grail of wheat pennies is the 1943 copper wheat cent. Officially none were produced but it is known that 5 or so copper blanks were left in the machine when they ran the steel pennies that year to save copper for the war effort.

I remember ads from when I was a kid saying how much they would pay for a 1943 wheat cent.

There are (used to be at least) people out there that actually doctored the date on other copper wheat pennies to make a copper 1943 wheat cent to sell to unsuspecting buyers.

As far as the steel pennies go, I have locally seen some for sale that had been badly galvenized and offered as mint state. I told the pawn shop I knew better and he fessed up that they were done locally by a friend at a place that galvenized metal and he was selling them as "novelty items"

Other companies did a nice job of refinishing them and selling them commercially..

Last edited:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A dealer would probably just count them and give you a quarter apiece.

Whoo hoo, I'd take a quarter apiece!!

Sounds like I probably need to look through them for that million $ one just on the off chance. I think I will get my daughter to sort them by year and tell her she can keep the best example of each year / mintmark for her trouble.

If I find any really good examples or mid-rarity ones, are there any coin dealers in Tulsa area that I should use? I don't mind taking a little less than eBay prices but just want to deal with it up front rather than mailing to someone on ebay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom