When to throw down the Crabgrass preventer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got tired of paying a lawn service to tint my lawn every month, that adds up at $50 a whack so I decided to apply the preemergent myself along with fertilizer periodically. And I won't dilute the mixture. Results to follow.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some chemicals have high ph, and others low.
If I remember my class right, those are the ones you don't want to mix. Nulls them, others can have a chemical reaction.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I spray with a 15 gal. ATV sprayer. Wonder if I could mix that and Glyphosate together in the same tank, kill 2 birds with 1 stone.?

You can mix the two, just don't mix the two concentrates together outside of the sprayer tank. Barricade and Surflan both are for spring and then reapply in the fall applications.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always use Scott's "HALTS" crabgrass preventer and put it down in mid February and have good results. I put mine down just before this last good rain. I've discovered if I wait much longer, my yard gets eaten up with crabgrass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love to rid my yard of sand burrs, but I have no desire to add to the chemical loading of the environment by broadcast spraying of pesticides. I just go around in the late summer and pull up the SB plants by hand, and that helps control their presence. I do make sure to dispose of the plants where they can't germinate!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love to rid my yard of sand burrs, but I have no desire to add to the chemical loading of the environment by broadcast spraying of pesticides. I just go around in the late summer and pull up the SB plants by hand, and that helps control their presence. I do make sure to dispose of the plants where they can't germinate!

We're talking herbicides, not pesticides.

Latest posts

Top Bottom