When your landlord is a jackwagon...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I get it, being a landlord can suck @$$, I know. But then again, trying to rent a house can suck @$$, too.

My parents are moving up my way to be closer - closing their business, they lost their house 2 years ago, now losing the business of 15 years and are looking at taking on menial jobs just to make ends meet. They don't want to own a home, because they don't want to be responsible for upkeep and such. So they've been looking around up here for an inexpensive place with a good fenced backyard, as they have 3 dogs.

We know they are going to need to place bigger deposits because of pets, that's no big deal.

So, most of the places we've looked at with fenced yards, the fences are total CRAP. They wouldn't keep in a dog if the thing was paralyzed in the back legs from a stroke. Whatever.

So today, we stop by to look at one and my wife calls the number, the fence in the back looks good. The inside is kinda dated, but it looks clean through the windows. Over on the west side of town, which isn't ideal, but it is a nicer older neighborhood. It's not bad. Looks quiet.

So the landlord doesn't answer, then 5 minutes later texts and says to just text him. Then he tells us he won't show the house until he has full names and employer information and can do a full background check. Just to SHOW the house.

What??? You want me to give you all my current information, including my SSN so you can run warrant, credit and background checks before I can even LOOK at your house? Hmmm.... sounds like someone's been burned in the past, maybe so, but damn - that's a lot to ask, or you just can't be bothered. Doesn't sound like you really want to rent it much, if you can't be bothered to show it to potential renters.

So my wife says, "Sorry, no big deal. My husband is an ER physician and we were looking for a house for his parents." 10 minutes later he texts back that, "with those qualifications" he can let us see the house.

This is why I don't tell salespeople what I do. We looked at some furniture today and I virtually ignored the salespeople. When I go car shopping, I never tell them what I do, and the looks on their face are priceless when I deadpan a vague answer to them 3 times in a row.

God, man... this **** is driving me up the wall.

<edit> Personally, I think it is unreasonable to require background checks and employment history and information just to VIEW a potential rental home. And this isn't anything special, we're not talking about a fancy McMansion here. Am I wrong? Is this the new societal normal along with "dabbing" and selfies every 5 minutes?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were thinking of buying another house and renting our current home until our neighbors tenants moved out and we saw what they did to their house. The guy was a E7 in the Army too. I would have expected better but they must have come from the ghetto or something. That house was TRASHED

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Note to self: When viewing homes in the future, in blank where it says "profession" write, ER Physician/Astronaut/Oil-man.

We've continued to text with this guy, and he sounds more and more like a person we won't want to have to deal with on a regular basis. Decent house or not, I think we'll keep looking.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@tRidiot , no way I would continue doing anything with the guy. He IMO has become a bit of a potential gold digger, he knows your a Doc and now feels he has a "clean" line on tenants. So only after he established your professional credentials did he become interested... Sounds like my 1st wife, saw the Officer sticker on my car and suddenly decided she wanted a date... No thank you.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
@tRidiot , no way I would continue doing anything with the guy. He IMO has become a bit of a potential gold digger, he knows your a Doc and now feels he has a "clean" line on tenants. So only after he established your professional credentials did he become interested... Sounds like my 1st wife, saw the Officer sticker on my car and suddenly decided she wanted a date... No thank you.

Exactly. We've written him off. I only told him that to needle him a little bit, so he would know he missed out on potentially a good situation. But after further discussion with him, it's obvious he is not the kind of person we would want to be involved with in any kind of financial circumstance. We've moved on... still looking, though. It's a tough market to find something decent in that pricerange.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could sit here all night telling stories about what tenants do to rental property. With that said (or unsaid, as I don't have the time), I think you are right to continue looking for a better situation for your parents. Good luck in your search!

Latest posts

Top Bottom