Where to find work for ex military kids?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As security forces, he should have a leg up for police work.

Any disabilities from service? Even if he doesn't think so, he should contact the DAV. I discovered that having a chronic disease diagnosed in the service qualifies you for disability on that disease.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's true about the oil field... drivers or technicians, both are in high demand and are well paid. A lot of companies have recruitment programs that specifically target military service members. The work does tend to take you away from home quite a bit. Not always, though.

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did he do in the AF?

If he was recently honorably discharged (within 3 years, longer if he's rated at least 30% from the VA)...he can almost "walk-on" to a lot of Federal jobs, if he knows where to look and who to send his resume to. The FAA, for example, bumps 5 and 10 point vets to the top of the list when it comes to hiring.

I would look into the FAA, even if it means he has to move somewhere else for a while. It might take a bit to get a job there, so he might have to do the Target thing in the meantime. If he has some electronics aptitude, I'd definitely recommend going through the metro tech course work to become an electronics tech. Those jobs pay very well for the amount of education you are required to have. But like SMS said, that vet preference thing kills when it comes to getting hired for FAA jobs. Sometimes they won't even look at other applicants when one or two vets apply. I would estimate that probably 70-80% of FAA employees have prior military service.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's true about the oil field... drivers or technicians, both are in high demand and are well paid. A lot of companies have recruitment programs that specifically target military service members. The work does tend to take you away from home quite a bit. Not always, though.

I know Chesapeak is one of them.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surf the website of whatever Air Force Base that's closest for ACAP (Army- Civilian Alumni Program. It's an Army term, but sure that the AF has a similar program). They help seperating servicemembers find careers.

And, since you mentioned it, seperating from Military service, 3 wrecked cars in 2 months and a divorce? Maybe sorting out problems should be priority #1 (Granted, he's gotta pay bills and eat, and sometimes, a new/ positive change IS the fix). Hope that whatever's going on in his life doesn't trash a new career.

Wish him the best of luck.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got hired right out of the Air Force at the Tulsa Int'l Airport police. I was also Security Forces. They can waiver the college credit for military. Just something to look at. I was making $17.00 an hour after 2 years. Not a lot but not too bad......I have since moved on to a local police dept. but it's a good stepping stone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom