Which of these magnum powders are the lest temp sensitive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloader 26
Reloader 25
H1000
Retumbo
Ramshot Magnum
N570

Looking at reaching 2800 FPS in my 26" .300 PRC with the 225 Grain ELD-M. All of the above listed, have safe charges up to 2800 and beyond. Plenty of load data between my 3 apps to safely work up.

Which of the above is the least temp sensitive? Which meters the best? Never used any of these powders before.

Thanks in advance OSA

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not gospel, but a good ballpark chart:

72-F33053-F125-4-CD9-92-C2-ED63062-E63-EA.jpg

Generally anything out of Hodgdon's extreme line is going to be pretty insensitive to temp changes.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you. H1000 looks pretty promising.

It's also unobtainable, and there's reason for that: It is an excellent powder.

So is Retumbo.

Neither of those meter for crap though.

Accurate Magpro is a sleeper. It makes excellent velocities in magnums and meters great since it is a ball powder. Downside: it is a bit temp sensitive, and ES/SD can be a bit extreme until you get that case almost completely full. 72.0gr in my brother's 7 mag had an SD up around 24...72.3, it was down to 12, and by 72.6 it was 6 FPS for the SD.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's also unobtainable, and there's reason for that: It is an excellent powder.

So is Retumbo.

Neither of those meter for crap though.

Accurate Magpro is a sleeper. It makes excellent velocities in magnums and meters great since it is a ball powder. Downside: it is a bit temp sensitive, and ES/SD can be a bit extreme until you get that case almost completely full. 72.0gr in my brother's 7 mag had an SD up around 24...72.3, it was down to 12, and by 72.6 it was 6 FPS for the SD.
Ya, I'm seeing how hard it is to find now. Being the capacity this will take, I may have to hand trickle each case and do a double throw with my measure.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a comment and not an observation on the above posts which are very substantial, but the new powders are showing to be less temp sensitive than the classic lines of old.
Some of the classics are and will be great powders going into the future, but the new ones deserve their place in reloading.

Latest posts

Top Bottom