Which of these TVs will give an overall better viewing experience at just 10-12 feet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, lookit, since you cannot tell the difference in little 32s, especially past 5 feet away, across the room, there's no reason to go more than 720 on them. Well, the girlfriend's cabinet is only 32" across, and 32" diagonals are about 31.5" across, so it will just work. So, for TV #1, here are the choices I've narrowed it down to now as getting good reviews as good values - all of these are 32" 720p LCDs (except the Sharp which uses some other technology?) - which is best and why? Best value/why? Thanks:

Size Brand Model
32 LG 32LD350
32 Toshiba 32C100U
32 PanasonicTC-L32X2

32 Coby TFTV3225
32 Sharp LC32D47U
32 Vizio E320VL
32 Phillips 32PFL3505D/F7
32 Sanyo DP32670

TV#1 is for a living room (limited by the cabinet mind you so please don't suggest any other size), viewed from anywhere from 9 to 14 feet I'd say. I'm leaning toward the bolded ones as they got the best reviews I've seen so far (for the money). All of these can be found between $320 and $398, give or take, if you shop around for a good deal, and in some cases willing to go with "refurbished".

I've heard it said in a review that the Coby is actually a 1080p which is just marketed and priced as a 720p - is this possible, or BS?

Reaction score
As for TV#2, which is for a bedroom and does not have a size limit on it, here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Size Make Model Type Resolution
42 Panasonic TC-P42S2 P 1080p
42 Sanyo DP42740 P 720p
40 Toshiba 40E200U L 1080p
37 Panasonic TC-L37U22 L 1080p
37 LG 37LD450 L 1080p
37 Toshiba 37E200U L 1080p

40 Toshiba 40G300U L 1080p
42 Samsung PN42C450 P 720p
42 LG 42PJ350 P 720p
42 Samsung PN42C430 P 720p
42 Panasonic TC-P42C2 P 720p

Again, especially the bolded ones - all of the bolded ones are 1080p except the Sanyo, which got good reviews as a 720p, and it's only $350-$400 if you look around. This is for a bedroom, with a little closer view - around 7 to 11 feet viewing distance I'd say. Which is best / best value?

What's the deal with refresh rates? The Panasonic 600 something or nuther sounded pretty good - is that better than a 120 Hz?

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 1080 is a visually better picture, even on non HD channels, on HD channels it is an even better, richer picture.

Plasma tv's have a shorter life, the plasma can be replaced in them after a few years but by then they might not be making the plasma anymore.

My son in law sells tv's and he advises against a plasma tv of any size.

I have a 32 inch standard tv and a 42 inch HD, easy to see the difference from any distance.

Reaction score
Plasma tv's have a shorter life, the plasma can be replaced in them after a few years but by then they might not be making the plasma anymore.

My son in law sells tv's and he advises against a plasma tv of any size.

The gentleman at Ultimate Electronics, who seemed to know his stuff, said that that USED TO be the case, but is no longer the case - he wouldn't buy anything but a plasma now, he said - better TV for the money, and the longevity and ghosting issues have been solved, at least with samsung and panasonic. Perhaps I'm erroneously assuming that they've been solved with LG, Toshiba, Sanyo, etc....

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the deal with refresh rates? The Panasonic 600 something or nuther sounded pretty good - is that better than a 120 Hz?

The 600Hz on a Plasma is not better than the 120Hz on a (good) LCD or LED/LCD.

Plasma's are much faster to produce (switch light/color) a pixel and when they do, they switch on/off very quickly (around 2ms or less), and typically are working at 60fps (standard TV signal), so they re-pulse the same signal up to 10-times - which yields 600fps, but you're really seeing the same pixel 10x in a row and then on to the next one - its just showing up lightning fast so there's no "flutter" effect like on an old 60hz TV.

The LCD 120Hz processors (specifically Samsung's) are doing a bit of processing in between each pixel they show and in my opinion, it truly looks much better for motion (again, with a good processor - Samsung is nice, I've seen others that were not so much).

LCD is actually slower at producing a pixel than Plasma for the most part (around 4ms), so a lot of the arguments out there for Plasma being "better" really tend to focus on which produces a faster pixel up front and then the processing afterward is a secondary debate. I honestly think that good-processor in an LED/LCD 120hz tvs look better.

240Hz gets into a little bit of ghosting and other issues that people tend to complain about, and I've not found a 240Hz TV that I was just overjoyed with enough to spend the extra money on vs what I have.

I will say this - mine is an LED/LCD which does speed up the pixel switching some and produces a pretty good contrast ratio - to me the contrast ratio is one of the most important things if you're interested in a "good picture".

Historically, Plasma's have always looked better with less contrast ratio than a typical LCD, but LED/LCDs are making good headway in that you can get a 6-8million to one contrast ratio with 120Hz and LED-lighting to increase the speed and overall brightness of pixel production.

Plus LED/LCDs use less electricity, last longer, and are lighter-weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom