TV Gurus, need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which of the following of these 3 TVs will give the best value, including the best overall viewing experience with both regular cable (80%) and HD cable or Blu-Ray (20%), from 8-11 feet across a bedroom, on the wall - they're all roughly $470-$500 plus tax on Friday, if you get there in time:

1. 46", 720p, Plasma, 600 Hz refresh rate, unknown contrast ratio (Panasonic Viera TC-P46C2)

2. 42", 1080p, LCD, unknown refresh rate, 100,000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio (LG 42LD450), or

3. 37", 1080p, LCD, unknown specs (Panasonic Viera, unknown exact model)

??

Or do you need more info on to tell? I'm thinking the 46" Plasma 720 will give a better overall feel and picture viewing experience than the smaller 1080s, espec. with that 600 Hz refresh rate, which I gather is on the high side (??).

Thanks.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know a whole lot about tv's, but I have a Dynex 42" 1080p LCD and absolutely love it! Blue Rays look so f'n life like on it! It was only $500 at Best Buy. They'll probably have some really good deals on them this weekend.

Scout

New to the site!
Reaction score
Panasonic is ahead of the market in 3D. If you want the most size for your money go with the LG - if you want a better picture go with the Panasonic. Either way the picture will be roughly the same after adjusting your color/contrast/brightness etc... - Do yourself a favor and avoid the plasma. They tend to have more problems then most LCD's.

LCD's have better resolution and consume less power.
Plasma's offer a higher contrast ratio approximate 850:1 but if the LCD's you've listed are at least 500:1 This wont be too much of a factor.
Plasma's can be viewed from a wider side angle but will also burn an image in your screen over time - this is a huge disadvantage if you watch non-hd channels or anything in a 4:3 ratio aspect as the sidebars will eventually burn in to the screen.
I hope this helps you.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I feel plasmas give a better picture, but they run hotter, use more energy, have a shorter life and its possible to burn an image on the screen. If you're not going to be buying one at least 50", then consider getting a 720 lcd. You'll save enough cash for alot of ammo and your eyes won't be able to tell the difference.

Reaction score
I hope this helps you.

Thank you. I sure wish it did, and it does a tiny bit - but it does not, much. You sure know a lot - would you mind answering my question: since you said stay away from plasma - (2), or (3)? - thanks - based on everything you know, which of those two is the best choice? The 42" LG, or the 37" Panasonic, from viewing at 8-11 feet? Thanks.

If any of the rest of you know, which is your answer, if you've eliminated plasmas - (2) or (3)? Thanks. Or do you need more information? Thanks again.

OU Gunner

Marksman
Reaction score
The larger the screen you want 1080P 720 for smaller TVs. Plasma still has the best picture or is tied with LED. I personally do not care for LCD. I have had plasma flat panel now for 5 years zero problems. I bought a LCD and havent had issues but the picture isnt as crisp. However you have to buy what ever fits you budget and what looks best to you. However you also need to research the TV for your room. Meaning is your room well lit, low lit? Where is the couch from the TV? Is side viewing important to you? LCDs do not have the best side viewing resolution. Go to best buy, there stadd is usually knowledgeable and their prices are decent.

OU Gunner

Marksman
Reaction score
Might ad my next big screen will be LED. Less energy consumption and seems to be on par with plasma. Also all my TVs are Vizio and I love that brand will never buy another brand.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I feel plasmas give a better picture, but they run hotter, use more energy, have a shorter life and its possible to burn an image on the screen. If you're not going to be buying one at least 50", then consider getting a 720 lcd. You'll save enough cash for alot of ammo and your eyes won't be able to tell the difference.

This is my feeling exactly, which is why I had my one and only plasma. HOWEVER, I'm not a flat panel fanatic anyway.

I feel that the most realistic picture available at the most reasonable price is from Mitsubishi's Diamond Series DLP's, but of course that's unrelated to the question.

I like the LG for size and contrast ratio of those listed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom