Which SKS mount type?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trying to mount a scope to an SKS and I'm not quite sure what type of mounting device to use (rear sight, gas tube, receiver cover, drill & tap).

I'd like to avoid drilling and tapping.

Please give input on any of your experiences.

Thanks

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience is mounting a scope on an sks rarely works out well.
I recommend people don't butcher an sks trying to make it into something it is not.

Well to be honest it's not a scope but a cheap dot sight. Well aware that it's not a "shooter" but the sight will make it a little more fun and easier to shoot.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd forward mount the dot on the most stable spot you can find; somewhere that does not need to be removed for anything.

Have you considered the peep sight that mounts to the very back of the receiver? They're stable and should work about as well as a dot.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd forward mount the dot on the most stable spot you can find; somewhere that does not need to be removed for anything.

Have you considered the peep sight that mounts to the very back of the receiver? They're stable and should work about as well as a dot.

Already got the red dot coming from another member and wanna try it out. The peep sight is a good idea though. The only issue I have is I am having trouble adjusting my front sight because the tool doesn't fit well

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SKS receiver cover mounted scopes are notorious for not holding zero when you remove and remount the receiver cover. However, if you are going to use a red dot, it probably won't make that much difference.

The best SKS mount are drilled & tapped. Nothing wrong with that unless you have a reasonably desirable SKS.

If I were going to mount a red dot on an SKS, I'd use a rear sight scout mount.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple options for a red dot eye relief isn't a big issue so the scout style setup that was linked already is best other than drilling and tapping. Personally I have a tapco stock that has a rail on the gas tube and a dot installed. If it has a tight enough fit (some do some don't) then that is a good option. I would still double check zero after removing the gas tube. Avoid the back cover mounts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom