Who Defends Our Right to Free Speech?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it's just a coincidence that the police did this AFTER the film which has been on youtube since May or so created (and I for one am not sure it did) all the hate and discontent in the mid-east?

Yeah - that's it. Just a coincidence. Must be.
That's when they found out that Nakoula Basseley Nakoula was using a false name to do business, which is a violation of his probation.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you scream "fire" in a theatre and theres no "fire", yet in the ensueing panic people are killed or injured. Who is responcible? The screamer is.

If a person make a movie with the intent to piss off a culture and Citizens are killed and injured, who is responcible?

We have the Right to bear arms, but we must be responcible. We cant inflame a situation, use our 2A Right, then hide behind our right to bear arms. If we do then we're held responcible.

I look at it like this:

If you walk into a badass biker bar and yell "poosies ride harleys" you're gonna get an azz whoopin.
You may have a 1a right to yell that but you only have yourself to blame for your own stoopidity.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I look at it like this:

If you walk into a badass biker bar and yell "poosies ride harleys" you're gonna get an azz whoopin.
You may have a 1a right to yell that but you only have yourself to blame for your own stoopidity.

I've already told this story on another thread, but the only fight i've been in since middle school was when I dressed up as jesus for a halloween party freshman year of college. I think what set the guy off was when I came out of the bathroom and announced that I had just turned tequila into water. Needless to say it wasn't the smartest thing i ever did.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We covered much of this in the thread the day the "protests" broke out. I'm still limping from the beating I took with the 1st Amendment stick, for voicing similar opinioins. I still stand by the same principles I did then: actions have consequences. Just because you have the right to say something - and violence for what you say isn't justifiable - it may well be a realistic outcome. I don't know for sure if the guy intended to stir up a shat storm, but past precedence suggests that making a film, cartoon, or text that insults the prophet of the Muslim religion is going to enflame the irrational amongst them. If you do so, you do so at your own risk, as far as I'm concerned.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you scream "fire" in a theatre and theres no "fire", yet in the ensueing panic people are killed or injured. Who is responcible? The screamer is.

If a person make a movie with the intent to piss off a culture and Citizens are killed and injured, who is responcible?

These two statements are not analogous. In the former , any reasonable person would respond by trying to flee the perceived threat. In the latter, No reasonable person would kill or maim in response to a clearly non life threatening event.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And it's just a coincidence that the police did this AFTER the film which has been on youtube since May or so created (and I for one am not sure it did) all the hate and discontent in the mid-east?

Yeah - that's it. Just a coincidence. Must be.
One of the terms of his parole is that he not use computers or the internet. Finding out he's released a video on YouTube would seem to be a bit of a clue that maybe he's not playing by the rules.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These two statements are not analogous. In the former , any reasonable person would respond by trying to flee the perceived threat. In the latter, No reasonable person would kill or maim in response to a clearly non life threatening event.
^ This. The individuals doing the rioting/maiming/murdering are responsible for their own actions. "He made fun of me on the internet" is not an excuse for murder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom