Who else feels cheated ? What Happened to you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like Navy recruit training center, our Boot Camp. In the mess hall the scrambled eggs came in those 1 quart or 2 quart cardboard containers like orange juice. I’m not sure if they added something to it but it was a bit green when it got to the serving line. When you were going through the chow line and they were slapping the stuff out of your tray you got to participate in the Dr. Seuss green eggs and ham experiment like you army guys. And once everybody got to the table, everyone stood until the last guy got there, then they announced you have 15 minutes and 15 minutes only to enjoy this fine fine Navy chow, sit down and commence.

Those are my only memories of green eggs.
The second day of boot camp and you get past the color of scrambled eggs.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eh, at least those were cooked "fresh". The omelet with ham MRE had no expiration date so there is no telling when it was cooked. In 96 I got an MRE with a package of M&M's with them that said I could win tickets to the 84 Olympics in LA. So yeah, my meal was over 12 years old....
Sounds like we were in around the same time.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was 14 (many moons ago) five of my buddies and I walked and hitchhiked from Atchison, KS to Effingham, KS. (about 20 miles) to go to the county fair. We spent the week there hanging around the fair, flirting with girls, etc. We spent the nights in an old abandoned farm house.

There was an Army recruiting booth and they handed out what we referred to as Army rations. Everything was in Army green tin cans. They kept us fed the whole week. If memory serves me correctly, we thought they were pretty tasty. It could have been we were so hungry anything tasted good.

I do remember there was a chocolate brownie that we thought was great. Also remember peaches and I think spaghetti.

I don't know if they were called MRE's back then. I thought they were called K-Rations.

We sure appreciated the rations the Army guys gave us.

Good memories!

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was 14 (many moons ago) five of my buddies and I walked and hitchhiked from Atchison, KS to Effingham, KS. (about 20 miles) to go to the county fair. We spent the week there hanging around the fair, flirting with girls, etc. We spent the nights in an old abandoned farm house.

There was an Army recruiting booth and they handed out what we referred to as Army rations. Everything was in Army green tin cans. They kept us fed the whole week. If memory serves me correctly, we thought they were pretty tasty. It could have been we were so hungry anything tasted good.

I do remember there was a chocolate brownie that we thought was great. Also remember peaches and I think spaghetti.

I don't know if they were called MRE's back then. I thought they were called K-Rations.

We sure appreciated the rations the Army guys gave us.

Good memories!
that's how i wish the world still was.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate the self checkout. Are they really so short on help that they can’t pay a few more people just to ring you up and bag your items? They might have one or two actual checkout lines with a real cashier but they’re always backed up clear to the next department. I usually try to avoid that place when I can, I’d rather support the smaller supermarkets anyway.
I’ll use self checkout every time if they have it. Normally no waiting in line, and much faster than the normal method. Now, I must say that my purchases are usually only a few items, so there is that.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's how i wish the world still was.
Yep! You and me both. Nobody hassled us. Even the sheriff's deputies didn't pay us any mind.

I had paper routes and would throw the morning papers sometimes at 2;00 or 3:00 in the morning and never was bothered by anyone, kidnapped or molested.

I would not even think about letting a kid do that in today's world. Even in a small town such as i grew up in.

It's a different world today.

Glad I was a kid in the era I grew up in.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll use self checkout every time if they have it. Normally no waiting in line, and much faster than the normal method. Now, I must say that my purchases are usually only a few items, so there is that.
for 5 or less items, I don’t mind it too much. I just don’t like being watched like a hawk, and then being asked for a receipt . A paying customer shouldn’t have to do a cashiers job for them. I noticed a few domino gas stations have self checkout POS systems now too.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never been asked for a receipt, but I know many seem to have been. With all the demands to raise minimum wages, add benefits, etc. I would rather scan my one stuff than pay for additional employees. Heads get real expensive in a hurry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom