Who works or has worked shift work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work overnight at my job and love it. It gives me more time with my daughter and wife since I sleep while they are at school and work. Plus we work 7 on and 7 off, can't complain about that.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work 8 on 4 off rotating between days and nights. 12 hour shift with drive time from the housing facility in Woodward to a well site somewhere around Alva. I normally get 16-17 hours a day by the time it's said and done. I'm a field mechanic for a frac company.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now I'm working 4pm-midnight. I usually work 5 day weeks but this week I'm working 7 straight. I could be switched to the midnight-8am shift anytime (which I hate).

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a powerplant operator. I work 12 hour rotating shifts for about 6 months out of the year (summer run season). It's a little tough in the beginning but you get used to it. It's harder on my family than it is me. I'm on maintenance now working days (4 10s).

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I worked rotating 12 hour shifts at Mobil Chemical (now Exxon/Mobil) in Shawnee for 5 years, then I got a day job there.

I hated every minute of it!

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a nice chair in a corner somewhere, sit down and lean back so the back of the chair and your head touch the wall and let your body clock do its thing.

Don't get caught!

Note: This is pretty much mandatory behavior for hourly employees in the oil patch.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had my share of shift work...I used to work an 8hr graveyard shift of 20-22 days on, 9 days off...when I was going to school, I worked 4-midnight, then went to school 8-noon...

Graveyard was great for running errands after work, early in the morning. Except for those lazy places that did not open until 10am. It was a pain in the arse to get good sleep though. This was back when people still went door to door and marketers called you on the phone all day. I was oncall, so I could not simply unplug my phone.

Bigman405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been working third shift for three years now. 11pm to 7am. I paint airplanes at T.A.F.B. It's rough sometimes.
Can't wait til I'm able to go to first shift which is from 7am to 3am.

Latest posts

Top Bottom