Who works or has worked shift work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently work 4 on, 4 off for three sets then 2 on, 2 off pulling 12 hour days 0600-1800. The 12s do eventually get to ya, but only working 14 days a month isnt half bad! Gives me plenty of time to have a second job in construction or roofing making cash to balance out my lack of pay.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked nights while in college. Couldn't keep the grades up, got drafted into the army, and worked shift work for the next 6 years. Got our and worked shift work at a refiner, for a couple of years.
Like you Becker, I preferred the night shift. Low pressure, and quiet times.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had some high priced computers back in the late 70's or early 80's that they wanted to justify paying for.
So we worked 3 shifts so the seats would be full 24 hours a day during the work week.
2nd shift had a nice shift dif, 3rd shift had an insane shift dif.
I never could get used to 3rd so I just worked the 2nd for a few years.
I really kind of enjoyed it to be honest.
No boss looking over your shoulder and the stores were usually pretty empty.
I'd stop at Crest foods on the way home and it wouldn't be real crowded.
In the summertime I could play with my kids during the cool part of the day.

My S-I-L is working a swing shift.
I don't know how he does it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day we would get off at 0630, grab some beer and go to the lake. Party all morning, and hit it again the next evening. That would kill me now.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a medical technologist. I actually started out on days and hated it. I would fall asleep driving home. I covered a night shift and loved it. I have been on nights for the last six years. I don't think I will be changing anytime soon. I am home when the boys get out of school. I have been offered days many times over the last five years and turned them down every time. I actually get more sleep than if i were on day shift.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worked a rotating shift as a security officer then cop at a college. 1600-2400 for 30 days. Then 2200-0600 for 30, then 0000-0800 for 30. We usually had at least a day off between shifts, and each shift had the same 2 days off for the whole shift.

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work rotating shifts and when I am on night shift I still have family life during the day on my days off. It is not easy and it is very hard on your body's natural clock. My Dr. recommended a prescription drug called Nuvagil that you can take when you are on a night schedule but daytime activities. I don't take it on a daily basis but it does help on those days when I work all night and have a Christmas parade in the morning to go to. You might give it a shot?

Latest posts

Top Bottom