Whole Home Generator Help/Advice Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what size it is. The house is just under 1100 sq ft.

When I was looking for a generator everything I read said an A/C will use about 1000 watts per hour per ton rating. So a 2.5 ton A/C unit should use 2500 watts per hour while in cooling mode. 8500 continuous watts should be sufficient if that's the case.
They require a lot more power on startup than continuous use. Make sure you account for that.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can get a soft start kit for your air conditioner that will reduce the surge load on the generator. look at the power factor on the generator head... get a generator that runs 1800 rpm instead of 3600. beware of generators that are rated by surge watts.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 18kw Natural Gas Koehler. I bought the generator, from an individual, that was new in the box. I think I paid $4,500 for it. When we built our house and had the wiring ran from where the generator would sit and the main cut off, so there was little expense there. I set the generator on a concrete pad I poured myself. An electrician installed everything including a separate cutoff, post meter that I asked for. Also ran a large gas connection, 2” schedule 40, about 20’ off the meter to the generator.
I think I have $6-7k in everything, but that’s in 2012 dollars and I did some of the work myself. Both the electrician and plumber were small companies I’ve used before.

We had a lighting strike years ago. It fried the ATS and stuff in the genset. After much haggling, it was repaired under warranty.

I’m hesitant recommending Koehler.

Just wondering, did they make you or the installer drive a ground rod at the generator?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you really need a whole-house unit? I have a dual fuel 8500-watt unit that I haven't even started yet in 3+ years. My power has never been out for more than a few hours. I got it just to run the fridge so the food won't spoil. Everything else I can live without for a short time. I have plenty of stoves and BBQ's to cook with and a battery "generator" that will run my CPAP for a few days. If your power goes out that much it might be worthwhile, but if it only goes out for a few minutes to a few hours why spend that kind of money?
I'm with @Hodrod. My whole house Generac has kept me warm during the two weeks without power after the Halloween ice storm a few years ago and cool in the August outage of a few days last year.

If you can at all swing a whole house genny, do so.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See what Mike Holt has to say about ground rods and generators.

About 49:40

Dang, that sounds like what blew out the electronics in my ats. Looks like I may disconnect that ground rod. Thanks for sharing.
I had a lighting strike a tree about 100-150’ away from the generator.

Latest posts

Top Bottom