Why all the Taurus hate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just have to shrug it off...I have to agree with the quality in the past few years, it has improved greatly. I have owned a few of the Taurus variety and never had an issue with any. Now as to my smith and wesson's I have owned, I have sent them back for warranty work after the first 30 rounds fired. Does that make S&W a bad gun, no...just that gun was bad. Every brand has their bottom end and their higher end guns. I could buy me a S&W sigma and base all of my opinions about what junk S&W is or I can look at it as a whole and understand that all companies have their shortcomings with certain lines. If you buy a Taurus Millenium(as I have heard have nothing but problems like the sigma), but if you buy a berreta style(sorry don't know the model number) or a 1911...they are great guns as well as their revolvers. So I say it's a wash and buy what you enjoy shooting and stop crapping on others likes or dislikes.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
firing pin/spring issues

I have seen this first hand. Many of them are prone to light strikes. My father still has a turd of a Millenium in 9mm that fires off a round about ever 3 trigger pulls. At least it has a "second strike" feature :)

The revolver I own works great. My father's other Taurus pistols (a TCP, revolver, and 24/7 in .45) work well too.

But when one of the two we first purchased had an issue, and you see a 50% failure rate first-hand, it supports what you hear about them being lower quality.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a pt1911, the blued finish is thin and I mean really thin wears fast when you carry it regularly and shoot often, Traxxis refinished this one for me 2 tone duracoat metallic blue and stainless now.

It beat the guide rod into 2 pieces after about 5 thousand rounds, other than that no issues.

I didn't mess the warranty I spent the money on a Wilson 1 piece guide rod and spring and went on about my business.

When I had Traxxis do the finish job I also had him fit a Wilson hammer, did away with the nanny lock which was my other area of concern.

i114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_Taurus.jpg

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
go take a three day pistol class and see how many taurus make it through. last 400 round class(1 day) i took there was one 24/7 in the class it made it 180rnds and crashed and burn. i don't believe i have ever seen one make it through a class,

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a pt140. Never had any particular problems with it. It went bang every time I pulled the trigger. For some reason it just wasn't what I wanted. I sold it to pops to fund a sig p228 purchase that I have been wanting for a long time.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've owned two in the past yrs, one revolver and one semi, a PT1911.....both shot great, the pt1911 never jammed once, spit out everything I fed it. It was really a good shooter.

The PT1911 is one of the very few 1911's I've shot that performed w/o any failures.A really underated firearm.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it's the guns that are bad. Their customer service is really bad. After dealing with poor CS I won't buy another Taurus just for that reason. It took me a year and several calls to get a part. The first few calls they had no record of my previous calls and nothing was ordered. Then they sent the wrong part on purpose to try to shut me up.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned one (single action Colt copy) that had to go back to Taurus before I ever fired it and I've been around a couple of their other guns. I know I'd never buy one of theirs again but by the same token, I won't buy a newer Smith revolver since they put the lock in them. I don't really have that much against Taurus; it's just that I choose to buy other products. Kind of a Ford/Chevy thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom