Why are Oklahoma's roads so crappy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You must be limited in your travels. LOL. One only needs to travel to Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Texas to see how roads should be resurfaced and curves designed.
I-40 in eastern Arkansas, out toward Memphis, is pure garbage; I haven't been on a highway in Oklahoma that's anywhere close to that bad.

Texas has some decent roads, but some of their highways are truly awful, too. (Then again, they also have a hell of a lot of miles of highway to maintain.) Out in west Texas, where it's usually hot and dry, they have some really nice roads, but northeast Texas has some highways that are in dire need of repair.

I'm not saying Oklahoma doesn't have some bad stretches of highway (the Indian Nation Turnpike and I-35 north of Pauls Valley come to mind), but there are definitely worse out there.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must be limited in your travels. LOL. One only needs to travel to Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Texas to see how roads should be resurfaced and curves designed.

Most of my mileage is in the western US, but I did live in Texas for almost 6 years when I was at hood.
I dont remember the roads there being paved with gold, and the roads here are definitely nicer than in CA.
We drove 66 from Victorville to St Louis and found Oklahoma to be one of the nicest stretches.

I think where my estimation comes off differently is that I don’t generally care about highways, I’m more interested in regular county roads and rural access, and in that regard Oklahoma is the best I’ve ever seen. The gravel roads here are smoother than many of the paved roads in rural California, and small towns here have nicer main streets than massive cities out west.

however as far as the highways go, still really impressive. I take the 40 and 183 to work every day and they’re both very well maintained in my area. As a function of my job I travel all over the western part of the state (in one week I went from Hollis in the south to Laverne near the panhandle, and then back to Eldorado near the red river) and I really love the highways. 183, 283, 152, 6, 9, 54, 51, 270, 33, etc etc have all been smooth as glass compared to the state highways back home. Ask any CA native about highway 99 lol.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've driven in about 30 different states including CA and TX and Oklahoma roads overall are just about slightly below average.
Try driving some of the State Highways in Indiana and parts of I-94 in Michigan and you will think that every expansion joint is a speed bump.
I have driven on some of the TX FM Roads that are nicer than some of the state highways in Oklahoma.
I have lived in Tennessee-Texas-Michigan-Oklahoma and all of them have problem roads.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've driven in about 30 different states including CA and TX and Oklahoma roads overall are just about slightly below average.
Try driving some of the State Highways in Indiana and parts of I-94 in Michigan and you will think that every expansion joint is a speed bump.
I have driven on some of the TX FM Roads that are nicer than some of the state highways in Oklahoma.
I have lived in Tennessee-Texas-Michigan-Oklahoma and all of them have problem roads.

I can vouch for the horrendous roads in Indiana, as that is the state we worked in our recent (last summer) job of surveying roads. To top it off, the roads in South Bend, IN were the WORST roads we have ever seen, and we've been in a lot of states (mostly western) in our lifetimes.

(South Bend is where Mayor Pete is mayor. He should quit campaigning for president and go back and do the job he was hired to do.)

TeleStratMan is right. Their transitions from roads to bridges and such are horrible.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^Wow!!! 5 year old thread revival!!!^^^^

And yet this thread is still valid, true and most likely to never change lol.

This is why I never vote for the encumbent.

The bad roads aren't all bad... 75mph down the HE Bailey OKC-Lawton is like getting a full hour shiatsu massage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom