Why is Guymon not the hottest place to live right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dated a girl who’s parents lived near forgan (I think that was the town) not sure how close the really were, but we weren’t quite to guymon. The wind and lack of water really kill the panhandle for me. I enjoyed getting to go visit though, her dad and I got along really well and we would spend most of our time shooting or hunting.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long does it take to drive to the Whittington Center? NRA.

some friends go to Kenton to the OkieTex Star Party every October and not much road options going west from there.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But, but, you have a lake there for water sports? LOL!
I want to go there the next time we pass through there which will be next month to see the government debacle.

”Lake”? It’s a puddle. I had a heck of a time putting a jonboat into that body of water while doing some research, years ago. Had to back the truck way out into the water almost to the axles, then wade knee-deep around and push the boat off the trailer since it was so shallow. On my return, I had to winch the boat up and onto the trailer, then drive some 50 yards to the exposed bottom of the boat ramp and on out. The “lake” was, surprisingly, some 14-15 feet deep over the original channel, but less than 5 feet in most other places.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How long does it take to drive to the Whittington Center? NRA.

some friends go to Kenton to the OkieTex Star Party every October and not much road options going west from there.

Not sure where the Center is from Raton, NM, but the distance between Guymon and Raton is 188 miles, according to Google maps. Just shy of 3 hours.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 30 years ago, there was a movement for the two panhandles to secede from Texas and Oklahoma and form their own state. It apparently didn't go anywhere.

I spent the night in Guymon once. I didn't mean to, but I went in to pay for my gas, and when I came back out, they'd rolled up all the sidewalks and streets for the night.

Maybe Guymon is the Toledo of Oklahoma?

The idea of combining the two Panhandles goes back even further than 30 years. That was spoken of when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom