35 hours and I'm a mess.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, finally make it to OK to spend Christmas with my wife's family. To save money we decided to drive rather than fly as driving is about $2K less.

So, we leave Orange County at 1:30am on Saturday. The weather varied for much of the trip and the driving was easy.............until we hit Texas. It was about 7pm when we got to the NM-TX boarder and all of a sudden hit thick ice and snow and the traffic just stopped. Stopped and didn't mover for 9 hours. Sat in our car from 7pm to 4am. No cell service to call or search the internet for the traffic. It was 10* outside with cars and trucks backed up for miles heading Eastbound. I tend to be one to over pack for trips but much of it tends to be safety gear and supplies. We were prepared for the long wait with food, drink, blankets, etc and luckily just filled up with gas about 20 miles before in San Jon, NM. With the temps and comforts we wanted we kept the engine idling for 8 hours and it consumed about 6 gallons of fuel. Had I not filled up whem we did I may have run out of fuel or been in a potentially bad situation. Learned lots of lessons with this little adventure.

I finally turned the car off at about 3am and sort of fell asleep until some highway worker banged on my window telling me to clear out. Had some minor issues with the 4WD on the car earlier but luckily they went away. It took us about 2 hours to get to Amarillo and was 5am. The Westbound I-40 traffic in the same area was as bad or worse and had thousands of cars and trucks parked on the interstate, off in the rest stops or filled up Amarillo hotels. Completely shut down in both directions. The origi al plan was to get to Amarillo by 7pm the night before, get a hotel and rest up for the final push but decided to just load up n coffee and more snacks and head to Tulsa. Got to Tulsa by noon today. Today's drive was beautiful with all the ice in the ground and trees bit the roads were clear.

I guess my point of this post was to share my fun but mostly to tell everyone to make sure you are always prepared when heading out in a road trip. I'm sure there were many families that were worse off tha we were and woefully I'll prepared to spent the night in 10* weather on the interstate. The only thing I didn't have (don't own, yet) were a pair of Sorel winter boots. other than that we had everything we wanted to say safe, warm and comfortable. Or as comfortable as one can be under the circumstances.

Have a great Christmas all and if you see a black Ford Explorer with CA plates running around Tulsa area this week be sure to say hi.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, the knock on the window to wake you up reminded me of a trip to Red River NM. We were on the highway when they shut it down to drifts, etc. We were doing fine in the Bronco with 36" mudders and a locker, but the NM HP put the lights on us and we had to pull over. (why?)

There were national guard deuces taking people to hotels, etc, and when they got to us, I volunteered to blaze a trail for them.
They agreed to let me follow them in.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats crazy Parks. Glad you made it. I go back and forth from California to Oklahoma regularly myself. If I dont fly in to Sacramento and drive up to my place with an old Blazer 4x4 I leave at my brothers house in Woodland then I drive out in my AWD/4x4 SUV. I always over pack with extra food, water, etc, like Im going to be out on the road a week when it usually only takes me a day and a half. My kid calls it the corn nuts and DrPepper tour because thats usually what we snack on on the trip. I take I-80 back and forth to get to my place up in Calaveras county. Ive been stuck in Cheyenne before when the HP shut down the highway. Outside of Salt Lake City I slept in the truck in a truckers turn off along with hundreds of semi trucks until they got things cleared once. Traveling out there with wide open stretches especially like I do at night I always stop and fillup at most major stops along the way even if I dont need to.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you made it ok. I can't go more than 2 or 3 hours at most without a bathroom stop anymore so I usually don't get below 8-10 gallons on a long trip. No reason not to fill it when I stop is how I feel.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We learned long ago to always be prepared when we're traveling. I always carry a cooler with sandwiches, snacks, water, etc. In the cool/cold times of year we carry two 12v electric blankets with us also...they work really good. Granted, you have to start the vehicle and charge the battery every once in a while, but it's an alternative to running the vehicle 100%Also more clothes than we thing we need when it's cold or has the potential to get cold.

We try to NEVER be below a half a tank of fuel also.

There's always a rubbermaid tub with vehicle spare stuff and lubes,, anti freeze, fluids, a spare belt,radiator stop leak, fix a flats, tire plug kits (make sure you have fresh glue!!!)blah blah and i have a pretty good air compressor in my truck. also bring tools. If you don't have a cb radio mounted , then keep a portable type one with ya...when there's no cellular service, those things are great. and no matter what you think...in an emergency those truckers will save your life!!!

FLASHLIGHTS!!
gloves
rain gear

And by all means....no matter what you drive..DO A DRY RUN ON CHANGING A FLAT TIRE. You'd be surprised how many folks have flats then realize the spare is flat, or they don't have all the parts to the jack, spare lowering mechanism is jacked up, etc..etc.

It seems like a lot of stuff, but if you pack stuff in creative ways and use usually UNUSED space, it's not bad at all. You'd be HAPPY if you needed it!

Peace ya'll....and be careful out there traveling during the holidays.

Merry Christmas to all of ya!!!!!!!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you made it safely! Be honest........how many times did you hear or think, "We should have flown?"

It was brought up about 5 hours into our sit but more as a joke with me saying that the $2500 was looking a little easier to spend. In the end my FIL said the TUL was mostly shut down on Saturday anyways. I know that if I were traveling by plane and was delayed for more than 5-6 hours because my destination airport was **** down I would have been pretty upset. I don't do well with airport delays, etc.

I do need to figure out the spare tire on my wife's 2012 Explorer. It has one of those POS mini spares that aren't work a crap.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow I drove from Norman to San Diego last Monday, thank God we didn't encounter anything like that! Our Durango only used up $210 in gas on the way here so I'm happy about that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom