Why is this in a British paper and not a U.S. paper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911GI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Road workers forced to duck for cover after gun shots are fired across Mexico border
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 5:55 PM on 14th January 2011
Comments (0)
Add to My Stories
Four U.S. road workers were shot at by at least one gunman using a high-powered rifle from across the Mexico border, sheriff officials have said.
A white pickup truck was seen fleeing the area on the Mexican side of the border in a ghost town near Fort Hancock, Texas.
The bullets struck private land along the unpaved Indian Hot Springs Road - around half a mile from the border fence.
The workers had been filling holes along the road caused by rainstorm damage.

Shooting: The border crossing at Fort Hancock,Texas, where U.S. workers were fired on from Mexico as they repaired the road
Mike Doyle, chief deputy of the Hudspeth County Sheriff's office, said the gunman may have opened fire at the workers to distract them or get them to flee the area.
He told the El Paso Times: 'Maybe they were trying to get them outside this area.'
He added that officers and Texas Rangers were assuming the bullets had been fired from Mexico.
One of the workers reported hearing eight shots that 'sounded like high-powered rifles'.
On the Mexican side, the nearest community is Banderas, but roads connect the area with Ojinaga, Presidio and even Juarez.
Drug cartels use the border area to traffic marijuana and cocaine between Chihuahua state and the U.S.
The U.S. government built narrowly spaced steel poles along the Rio Grande to fence off the border in that part of Texas, but small objects can fit between the poles.
Sheriff Arvin West added: 'You can walk up and stick your gun through.
In El Paso, stray bullets from a drug-related gunfight hit the City Hall in June and a bullet hit a building at the University of Texas in August.
Tourist David Hartley is believed to have been shot dead by Mexican gunmen in October while jetskiing on Falcon Lake, a border area near Laredo, Texas.
Katherine Cesinger, a spokesman for Texas Governor Rick Perry, said: 'If these reports are true, it is yet another incident of border violence and spillover.
'It goes back for the need for the federal government to provide more resources to the border, which is certainly feeling the effects of escalating violence in Mexico.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1B4T3VBQd

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did see a short blurb about this, but it was not a big issue with the reporters, as this happens every day?
Kind of like we don't see reports about the good things we see our troops doing overseas, building schools, etc.
We only see the death and injured reports from the main stream media.

GOTOGUY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did see a short blurb about this, but it was not a big issue with the reporters, as this happens every day?
Kind of like we don't see reports about the good things we see our troops doing overseas, building schools, etc.
We only see the death and injured reports from the main stream media.

Because stupid Americans would rather watch blood and guts on the boobtube and in the theaters; give them anything else and they're disappointed.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know the legality of defending yourself from across a border, but if someone was shooting at me, I'd sure as hell be defending myself by any means necessary.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
regular reader of UK publications here...
always good to get another opinion from a different point of view!

it's not that US publications didn't print the identical information.
same basic info was splattered all over USA new outlets.

news ... is just that ... news, happens each and every minute.
old news gets pushed off the headlines to make room for current "news".

very few topics stays on top for very long...
above news article is no exception.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So they heard these shots from at least a half mile away? And they could tell they were high powered rifles and not fire crackers, or backfires from some old ****** pick up?

Did they actually see these bullets impact the ground in front of them? If so, those Mexicans are either, very good, or very bad shots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom