Why no one invades Switzerland

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always saw Switzerland as the grubby kid who holds all the bets as others fight.

Guess the biggest difference between the myth of Switzerland and us is we have traditionally fought wars and Switzerland has held the bets.

I'm with you on that.

There were a lot of factors that kept them from being invaded during WWII...mountains redoubts and armed citizenry are the popular factors that everyone focuses on.

But you also have to consider the fact that they played both sides in terms of trade/finance and, most importantly, they had a complete lack of offensive capability which allowed Hitler to "save them for later".

Rest assured, if we had not intervened they would have been invaded or at least been turned into a puppet state of the Reich.

Now if you would take a country like ours with a strong standing military and combined it with an armed and trained populace...that's something to really contend with. That's what the CMP started out to do many moons ago...but we've become soft.

thayton

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm with you on that.

There were a lot of factors that kept them from being invaded during WWII...mountains redoubts and armed citizenry are the popular factors that everyone focuses on.

But you also have to consider the fact that they played both sides in terms of trade/finance and, most importantly, they had a complete lack of offensive capability which allowed Hitler to "save them for later".

Rest assured, if we had not intervened they would have been invaded or at least been turned into a puppet state of the Reich.

Now if you would take a country like ours with a strong standing military and combined it with an armed and trained populace...that's something to really contend with. That's what the CMP started out to do many moons ago...but we've become soft.

I don't think we are soft, just look at how many have served in the military since 1965 that are still alive ( might have a beer belly and other problems )and at some point will could get pissed

MadDawg

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thayton-
I was a dumb grunt back in the day. There are probably as many who have died from a bad liver as are still here with a beer belly. Being pissed and able to hunt with the youngbloods are two different things.

We are soft and I do believe what SMS meant is the vast majority of military age citizens would be noble warriors as long as they didnt have to get up from the Playstation.

As for most veterans, back in my day the tail to teeth was 10-1. These days that has doubled. I doubt many surviving vets could run simple squad assault drills on a paintball range, much less one that kills you for your first mistake.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think another major reason Switzerland has never been invaded, even in WWII, is that it has never followed an interventionist foreign policy. in other words, they mind their own business and just don't ever give anybody a very good reason to be pissed at them. They didn't get in on any of the carving up of Europe after WWI, which was the main reason Germany attacked Poland, Czechoslovakia, and France in 1939-1940.

I think our nation would be a lot safer and richer if we followed their example... just mind our own business in the world, while maintaining a strong defensive military force and armed populace, then sit back and trade with everybody and become rich. Let the other nations play the "world police" game and go into debt sending their troops on foreign adventures that do nothing other than make more enemies.

Who in their right mind would attack a country that gives no provocation, and has the most sophisticated military as well as the largest armed populace in the world? I'm sure such a foreign policy would keep us a lot safer than the one we've been following for the past century.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the swiss have been the bankers that no one wished to be harmed.

yes they have defenses, but they never stick their heads out either ... never see them leading the way to defend anything. just be a banker

PFXD 45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the swiss have been the bankers that no one wished to be harmed.

yes they have defenses, but they never stick their heads out either ... never see them leading the way to defend anything. just be a banker

Is that the reason they were not attacked during WWII, or was it because the Nazis and Hilter knew it would of been suicide. Just like Hitlers Generals told him attacking Russia is suicide to attack them. But he did anyways.

How about us why were we not attacked during WWII. Was it because we had bankers here?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that the reason they were not attacked during WWII, or was it because the Nazis and Hilter knew it would of been suicide. Just like Hitlers Generals told him attacking Russia is suicide to attack them. But he did anyways.

How about us why were we not attacked during WWII. Was it because we had bankers here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wake_Island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Guam_(1941)

Latest posts

Top Bottom