Why not Nikon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People buy old Tasco Japan scopes..No warranty on them but they feel it is a good scope that should not give them any trouble.
Back when Tasco was made in Japan they were the top dog in the optics world in their day winning optics of the year for their World Class line of scopes. I forgot in an earlier post I have two of them. Back in the early 90's they introduced the bullet drop technology by offering rings for the elevation that were designed for specific loads. Won optics of the year at one time.
.55 grain at 2900 fps used one ring, .30 cal running 2700 fps used another. You had to shoot the caliber/fps for them to be accurate at the long range drop.
Why Tasco decided to go walmart cheepo is beyond me, but they are still around and Nikon is gone.
Personally I think Nikon got tired of producing a quality optic that was trying to compete with budget models for market share. So goes economics.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when Tasco was made in Japan they were the top dog in the optics world in their day winning optics of the year for their World Class line of scopes. I forgot in an earlier post I have two of them. Back in the early 90's they introduced the bullet drop technology by offering rings for the elevation that were designed for specific loads. Won optics of the year at one time.
.55 grain at 2900 fps used one ring, .30 cal running 2700 fps used another. You had to shoot the caliber/fps for them to be accurate at the long range drop.
Why Tasco decided to go walmart cheepo is beyond me, but they are still around and Nikon is gone.
Personally I think Nikon got tired of producing a quality optic that was trying to compete with budget models for market share. So goes economics.

Nikon could be taking a licking. I've heard that they are losing money, some because of their introduction of mirrorless cameras, so they may be cutting back some productions to save money. Of course, that is just speculation from myself and a few others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nikon could be taking a licking. I've heard that they are losing money, some because of their introduction of mirrorless cameras, so they may be cutting back some productions to save money. Of course, that is just speculation from myself and a few others.
You may be right, but my speculation is that they built a quality scope that wasn't cheap. The profit margin with all of these new up and comers just drove them out of the market because they didn't want to sacrifice quality for cheap quantity like Tasco did back in the day.
I guess nobody knows for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom