Wife is ready.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think the ccw class is kind of a joke. I happen to be a firearms instructor yet I am sending my wife to TDSA's intro to firearms for ladies. my wife shoots pretty good yet I really want an outsider to instruct her. I have shot with a few of the guys from Carry Legal as well and from talking to them they have a pretty good program for not much cost. I realize all of this is in the Tulsa area but it would be worth checking in to.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
definitely get somebody to shoot with her first - let her shoot a variety of guns and fondle as many as she wants....

my wife liked the bersa thunder w/ crimson trace (and still wants it) but also loved the lcp...sure beat her wanting to carry a walther p22

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think the ccw class is kind of a joke. I happen to be a firearms instructor yet I am sending my wife to TDSA's intro to firearms for ladies. my wife shoots pretty good yet I really want an outsider to instruct her. I have shot with a few of the guys from Carry Legal as well and from talking to them they have a pretty good program for not much cost. I realize all of this is in the Tulsa area but it would be worth checking in to.

The CCW class is not a beginner's class. You are expected to be familiar with your firearm and safety procedures. In fact, the only requirement to pass the shooting portion of the class is that you demonstrate the ability to handle a firearm safely. Legally, you could fire 50 shots from your gun and not hit the target a single time and still pass if the instructor is satisfied that you have exhibited the ability to handle a firearm SAFELY ...

GC taught me to shoot and there was a period of time there when he really got on my nerves. Seems to be a pretty common occurrence with married couples (or people in significant relationships). We enjoy shooting together A LOT more now that he is not always trying to "help" me. :chop: LOL

I am not a big fan of "Women's Only" classes either but other women are more comfortable in them, I guess. The one women's only event I went to was just ... well, I just didn't enjoy it at all. Too much time was spent "talking up" recoil on the bigger guns and too many women were doing that "helpless" thang. Oh, my what a big gun ... I am scared. Please ... And I will be the first to admit that whether a gun is "pretty" or not doesn't factor into my decision on whether it would be fun or practical for me to shoot ...

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
definitely get somebody to shoot with her first - let her shoot a variety of guns and fondle as many as she wants....

my wife liked the bersa thunder w/ crimson trace (and still wants it) but also loved the lcp...sure beat her wanting to carry a walther p22

My wife can't stand my Bersa. I offered to put a Crimson Trace on and she told me not to waste my money. She likes the .45 that she bought for my birthday last year and took back the next day after she shot it. She does not have a CCL, but does have it for home defense. She has some health issues that would make it hard for her to complete the class.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CCW class is not a beginner's class. You are expected to be familiar with your firearm and safety procedures.

I understand that it's basically the states "legal block" for CCW permits...

There are way too many people that go there having never fired a gun yet they are going to carry this gun and expect to be able to save their ass when it counts....

you and I both know that firearms is something to have to practice a lot to be good at... I worked with a basic academy earlier this year as my internship for my firearms instructor license.... rookie cops scare me bad enough... armed citizens that have no training scare me even more...

I don't think Marshall's class is going to be like that... all of his other classes that I have taken were pretty damn good... I am hoping she will come back more confident in her skills and will have the opportunity to try other calibers of weapons to find something more suited for her... she is also taking a friend from work so that will really help...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that it's basically the states "legal block" for CCW permits...

There are way too many people that go there having never fired a gun yet they are going to carry this gun and expect to be able to save their ass when it counts....

you and I both know that firearms is something to have to practice a lot to be good at... I worked with a basic academy earlier this year as my internship for my firearms instructor license.... rookie cops scare me bad enough... armed citizens that have no training scare me even more...

I don't think Marshall's class is going to be like that... all of his other classes that I have taken were pretty damn good... I am hoping she will come back more confident in her skills and will have the opportunity to try other calibers of weapons to find something more suited for her... she is also taking a friend from work so that will really help...

Oh, I wasn't banging on Marshall's classes AT ALL. Most women respond really well to women's only classes ... I just am not one of them. :P

What made me shudder was this comment:

Plenty of folks shoot for the first time in the CCW class. Perfectly viable option.

This attitude is WAY too prevalent among the general public. In fact, although I have never seen any official numbers on it but fully 95-99 percent of the people I saw in SDA class I never saw again at the range. I can figure that: Either they had someplace else to practice regularly (I am not really buying that) and/or put the gun in a drawer and never followed up and got their license (please please please let that be true).

I agree that rookie LEO (and some of the old timers) are just as bad though. I would venture a guess that I have more training and practice time in that the majority of GC's co-workers -- a fact that I find terrifying.

A friend of mine and I were talking last night while watching a couple of people shoot. We both are amazed that there are not more accidents and fatalities among casual shooters. God does look out for idiots and fools, it seems ... :P

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

+1 on Carry Legal. I took my CCW class and their Intermediate Conceled Carry I class. They are excellent instructors and very good with the ladies. My Mother-In-Law took the CCW class and she had never shot a gun before. Read the testimonials at CarryLegal.com.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well after seeing the story of the intruder in the home here in Midwest city she has decided to get a ccw, as well as myself too.

as for me I shoot every week or more , the wife on the other hand has never fired a gun in her life

(all she knows is she want a pink one)

so any ideas on where to take the class and should I take her shooting first or get her with someone to teach her, she says I make her nervous

thanks

Glad to hear she interested. :thumbup3:

Like BB said, getting her in a real training class would be a good idea.

I also agree with having her learn from someone else. It's not personal, but she may subconsciously feel that there is competition between you even when there's not. That is a normal feeling when being taught by somebody who is family or close friends. Especially between spouses. With an outside instructor, she can relax and focus on learning. This is something she needs to feel comfortable with and that she's doing it for herself, and not under someone's shadow.

I went through the same thing with my wife several years ago. She got frustrated if she didn't do well in front of me. I finally convinced her to go to our instructor on her own. She did. It built up her confidence tremendously.

Latest posts

Top Bottom