Wife wants a 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would be a good shop to take my wife to that would help her find the right 9mm for her? We are in Norman.
What I'm hoping for is one we can both use effectively. She is left-hand/right-eye dom.
I'd also like one that can readily take a laser/light...

Actually, the best way to find what pistol will work is not at a shop, but in good training! Taking a *good* class will do more for helping you find the right pistol than putting your hands on all the pistols in the store, or even renting and shooting different guns. It would be well worth it for you to take her to one of TDSA's ladies' only classes (http://tdsa.us). That will give her a great foundation, and a good frame of reference from which to find a gun that will fit your needs. Good luck!

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still going through this with my wife; she's also 5' 4" and a small frame; she's gone through about 5 handguns so far and still hasn't found something she is comfortable with; she's had .380's, 9mm, all pistols; she's rented several at Heartland and has really liked a few (mainly the Kahr CW9---I bought her one and it was so tight she couldn't rack the slide). I should have tried to purchase the rental she used instead of a new one.

I'm now thinking revolver for her so we'll try a small one and she if she can handle the recoil (unlikely). She's game to keep trying so I'll just keep buying and selling til she finds the right one.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most popular small-ish 9mm that I see in the classes is the S&W M&P 9c.
Probably 9 out of 10 ladies that I've recommended it to have bought one.
Like others have said take her to H&H or Heartland and rent several to see the ones she likes.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As others have said, let her try some out and get a feel for what she likes.

For purchasing, I'd check out some of the sponsors here on OSA. Since you're in Norman, Mark's Firearms is in Moore. No...I'm not affiliated with his business, but I've bought from him before and had a very good experience.

greenbeetle

Marksman
Reaction score
It sounds like she has a small frame. To be honest it may be difficult to find a 9mm she is comfortable with and will spend alot of time at the range with that will also be concealable (you mentioned you will conceal).

Perhaps you can change the loads depending on who's carrying it for a softer shot for her.

I like the S&W M&P 9mm. Nice thin grips for the lady, lightweight but not overly.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on taking a good class prior to getting serious about choosing the right pistol or revolver. My wife attended two of Tammy Pinkston's classes when she used to teach at H&H.

She tested M&P, XD, Kahr, Glock, CZ and Stoeger 9mm before she settled on the M&P 9c. She is 5'3" and really appreciates the relatively light pull required to work the slide and chamber a round.

For your wrong-handed wife, note that M&P has ambi slide release and thumb safeties.

Regarding sharing the pistol, M&P also has back straps that are meant to fit hands of different sizes. I don't have huge hands,but I'm a foot taller than my wife and have no problem adjusting to the smaller grip length of the compact M&P even without changing the backstrap. It comes with both flat and extended mag base plates...choose the one you like best.

As many have mentioned, H&H has a good selection and a range available to test different models.

Last thought: have your wife look here for a female perspective on weapons www.corneredcat.com

LuckyGunner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take her to H&H in OKC. I believe that they have several 9mm's by different manufacturers that you folks can try out.

Large selection of 9mm pistols available for rental. If you tell them what you are doing, buy your ammo there, and purchase the pistol she picks there. They should be able to get you a good discount.

If it's just going to be a range gun. I would suggest looking at some steel framed pistols. CZ, CZ clones (EAA, 941, Armalite), 3rd gen S&W, and the Stoeger is a solid pistol for the price. Those are the ones off the top of my head that have slimmer grips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom