Wild Porker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Explain what you mean by "properly cared for"? You mean the prep work like what you just mentioned?

Yes, basically what I said. In addition to get the meat skinned and cooled off quickly.

Many people like to haul their kill around all day and show it off like cavemen. Then they take it to a processor or may process it themselves. Good chance that meat will taste horrible.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ate a chunk of my big boar yesterday evening. I'm beginning to think I've run into another one of those wives tales. You know, the same people that tell you divers and snow geese taste AWFUL compared to mallards and canadas?!

At any rate. It tasted like feral hog meat to me, which has always been delicious, IMO. We will see how the remainder eats, but so far I am very pleased.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ate a chunk of my big boar yesterday evening. I'm beginning to think I've run into another one of those wives tales. You know, the same people that tell you divers and snow geese taste AWFUL compared to mallards and canadas?!

At any rate. It tasted like feral hog meat to me, which has always been delicious, IMO. We will see how the remainder eats, but so far I am very pleased.
I think the majority of the excuse is used because someone doesn't want to butcher one.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ribs are about the most delicious part of the hog to me, therefore I always gut mine. I have pulled just hinds before when I was in a hurry, no gut job there of course.
I will try to find it and link it here. I saw a method on youtube where some guys (not sure race, but it seems they weren't speaking English) they had a hog laid out, and poured some hot water all over it, (think they scalded hair off) and the butcher chopped it up without gutting it, even splitting the ribs lose from along the spine. He even appeared to save some organs before completely finishing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom