Will a snake keep gophers away ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't waste money on store bought, fancy pants, citified gopher traps....embrace your redneckedness and build tiny little snares to trap 'em. Or if you want to go full blown Green Beret you grind a tiny little knife out of a larger knife then build a ghillie suit and wait for them to come out of the hole. Then you quietly come up behind them and silently slit their tiny throats with your tiny knife, then skin the gopher each time and when you've got them all....you use the hides to make a tiny hat.

Love it, but you forgot about pouring gas down the hole and lighting it. :uberblast

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't waste money on store bought, fancy pants, citified gopher traps....embrace your redneckedness and build tiny little snares to trap 'em. Or if you want to go full blown Green Beret you grind a tiny little knife out of a larger knife then build a ghillie suit and wait for them to come out of the hole. Then you quietly come up behind them and silently slit their tiny throats with your tiny knife, then skin the gopher each time and when you've got them all....you use the hides to make a tiny hat.

Their fur is so soft, I'm amazed nobody has done that yet. I really enjoyed your write up though. Very viseral. I like that.

On occasion, after a heavy rain, the gophers will have to rebuild their tunnels, and like to stick their head up out of the mound. In that instant, a .17 hmr works really well.

Love it, but you forgot about pouring gas down the hole and lighting it. :uberblast

I need to post a picture of an episode like that. Its in my old military pics that I don't have online, but one certainly does not want to do that. I'm living proof. LOL

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Their fur is so soft, I'm amazed nobody has done that yet. I really enjoyed your write up though. Very viseral. I like that.

On occasion, after a heavy rain, the gophers will have to rebuild their tunnels, and like to stick their head up out of the mound. In that instant, a .17 hmr works really well.

I need to post a picture of an episode like that. Its in my old military pics that I don't have online, but one certainly does not want to do that. I'm living proof. LOL

I know, I forgot the part about making dummie gophers out of C4 and dropping them down the holes first. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HAHA! I've tried most of those tricks. My sandy ground doesn't allow water.

Yep, after all that firepower the gopher still wins. In real life, the gopher wins as well. We can never eliminate them, just control them.

Stoneman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We saw a snake in our yard today, I let it go, could have killed it but held off to see if it'll keep gophers away. If it will I won't worry about it, if not ill kill it. It went into a hole in the yard, so I'm thinking it might scare gophers.

This will work using a pickup with slightly angled exhaust pipe. Get a full length piece of gutter downspout, slip it over the exhaust pipe and use a gutter end piece (45-60 degrees) going down into the gopher hole. Mix up some mud to seal around all the openings. Then walk around the yard and stomp in all the mounds you can find. They are all interconnected. Then start the p/u, after dark if you have nosy neighbors especially. Let it idle until you get ready for bed then shut it off and move it. If it dies before you shut it down the mole tunnels are all saturated with carbon monoxide.
New mole move-ins don't like dead cousins. I used this before cars had computers that sensed all the gasses. So it might not work on newer vehicles. Worked good with a '73 Chevy.

Stoneman. deNAM. 67/68

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used this before cars had computers that sensed all the gasses. So it might not work on newer vehicles. Worked good with a '73 Chevy.

Stoneman. deNAM. 67/68

Back in the day it really worked. Ace Hardware sells a rubber boot you can hook onto an exhaust pipe and tighten with a hose clamp. Other end is a garden hose attachment that connects to a 3/4" hose.

Catalytic converters only put out CO2 now, not Carbon monoxide. Your 73 chebby would have been the perfect killing machine!

Latest posts

Top Bottom