Winchester M1 30 carbine value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a really nice all Winchester M1 30 carbine that I am thinking about letting go and really have no idea on a fair price.I am not a collector of military weapons and would like to see it go to a good home but do not want to screw myself in the process.It is a non import and in really nice condition.Any input is welcome.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pictures would help! Need to know whats marked on the barrel, and other markings on the gun. Does it have a high wood, low wood or potbelly stock. Flat bolt or round. Does it have a bayonet lug, and what type of rear sights.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that there are no original 100% correct M1 carbines because all carbines went throught the rearsenal process. So, I would think its value would be based on mostly on condition.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Different manufacturers bring different value...independent of condition....even if the only original part is the receiver.

Check out www.odcmp.com and see what their carbines are going for....they set the standard.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the others here have said, it depends on the condition of your Carbine, and which parts were made by what manufacturer. The better the condition, and the higher the Winchester parts content, the more valuable it'll be. SMS is right in linking you to the CMP site to get an idea for baseline Carbine prices, but keep in mind the non-auction Carbines are at best mix-masters. If that's what you have, then you can start with the CMP prices, and figure in a premium considering the CMP currently has no Carbines for sale outside of their auction venue. If you have CMP paperwork showing your Carbine came from them, that'd help a bit but isn't necessary. An import stamp on the barrel, or worse the receiver, will hurt your Carbine's value - how much, is in the eye of the buyer.

Having said all that, for a WRA M1 Carbine in good condition with a shiny bore that doesn't swallow a M2 Ball round (muzzle wear < 3), average parts content (i.e., one or two WRA parts besides the receiver), and no splits, cracks, or repairs in the M1 stock (not M2 potbelly), you'd be looking at $650 or so to start. With more WRA parts, flip rear sight, Type 1 or 2 barrel band, etc., the price can get up over $1000 in a hurry. PM me if you'd like more info, but I'll need an accurate parts breakdown to give you a better idea of your Carbine's value.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my carbine,having trouble loading more than one at a time.I have had it apart and ALL parts are Winchester.
ai709.photobucket.com_albums_ww96_sdheard_IMG00212_20110321_1625.jpg
ai709.photobucket.com_albums_ww96_sdheard_IMG00215_20110321_1626.jpg
ai709.photobucket.com_albums_ww96_sdheard_IMG00214_20110321_1625.jpg
ai709.photobucket.com_albums_ww96_sdheard_IMG00213_20110321_1625.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my carbine,having trouble loading more than one at a time.I have had it apart and ALL parts are Winchester.

OK, looks like a post-war rebuild with a sanded M2 potbelly stock, late- or post-war adjustable rear sight, and Type III barrel band with integral bayonet lug. If all the internal parts are WRA, then someone's "corrected" it since it'd be a phenomenally unlikely coincidence the Army arsenal would have re-assembled it using all WRA parts. To confirm - the barrel, slide, bolt body and firing pin, trigger housing, trigger, sear, hammer, recoil plate - are all WRA? Then you could add up the value of the individual metal parts, toss in $50 for the M2 stock (assuming no cracks, splits, or arsenal repairs), and you'd have a fair idea of the Carbine's value. Assuming the barrel is better than average (MW 3) and less than pristine (MW 0), then you'd be looking at $700 to $800, depending on who's buying. If this Carbine has a high serial number (> 6.45M) the adjustable rear sight would be correct, and perhaps the bayonet lug, and maybe even the stock, in which case you could expect a value on the higher side of what I mentioned. Again, this is assuming the Carbine is in very good condition, the bore is shiny with sharp rifling and the MW is low, and all the parts are indeed WRA. Also, a flat bolt would be correct for an early WRA Carbine, while the round bolt would be correct for one with a S/N > 5.8M. Can't really tell from your photo which bolt you have, though it looks like a flat one.

Are there any cartouches on the stock or on the underside of the upper hand guard? Any markings on the sling, or photos of the metal parts? Do you know the muzzle wear or have you done the M2 Ball test?

Where did you get this Carbine, and how long have you had it?

Answers to those questions can help fine-tune a valuation. Of course, the next person could have a different idea of your Carbine's worth :D

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it truly is all WRA, and nothing is humped on it, you might even fetch more than 6 bills. CMP was selling service grade mix masters for something like $500, IIRC?

WRA is a sought after maker (at least for Garands)...seems on the surface like you have a nice rifle. Might think about keeping it.

Reaction score
I'd say about $600-$750

Yeah, maybe so, but you might be able to get a bit more, maybe $800 or $900, nowadays. I wouldn't go under $800 for that - all matching manufacturer, and no import marks.

That one would be *marked* $1,100 to $1,200 at a gun show. I have no idea if there's some suckers that actually pay those prices, but there may be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom