Winchester White Box 9mm 115 Grain Nasty Brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Winchester White Box 9mm 115 Grain has been my first choice when I kill paper for years but when I went to buy some at Wal-Mart this week the brass looked like crud, really nasty. Bad as in I should have taken a photo bad.

I went to Academy and it was nasty too but not quite as bad. This was both in the 100 pack and 50 round boxes.

I guess I just couldn't believe Winchester would put something like that out there.

Has anyone noticed this? Any thoughts?

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I quit buying WWB in favor of the RWS orange box 9mm. Much cleaner looking, and more accurate in my opinion. I gave up on Winchester. I bought a box of .22 expert and it looked like ammo they picked up from a range and stamped with a winchester logo, and shot like it too. Actually sent it back to them and got my money back.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
sometimes they get some tarnished brass ammo at walmart. I think its cause of how it gets stored and how old it is. I guarrantee it wasnt packed in the factory like that.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tarnished brass is one thing. This stuff had crud in the lettering on the stamp. Nasty, nasty stuff. It wasn't just Wal-Mart either.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard anything bad about WWB? Had a Kimber rep tell me WWB was blowing up people's guns. I'd never heard it, and I've shot more WWB than I care to talk about and never even had one NOT fire.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard anything bad about WWB? Had a Kimber rep tell me WWB was blowing up people's guns. I'd never heard it, and I've shot more WWB than I care to talk about and never even had one NOT fire.

Actually one of the shooters had a couple of WWB fail to chamber last week at the USPSA match. I also tried them in a couple of other guns and they were just too fat. Surprised me as WWB is used by several shooters that don't reload, and they normally work well.
Maybe they've had some quality control problems?
I once bought a case of 20ga AA skeet that had been over-crimped and all the cases split. Winchester eventually replaced them.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit buying WWB in favor of the RWS orange box 9mm. Much cleaner looking, and more accurate in my opinion. I gave up on Winchester. I bought a box of .22 expert and it looked like ammo they picked up from a range and stamped with a winchester logo, and shot like it too. Actually sent it back to them and got my money back.

H&H wouldn't let a guy use the 9mm RWS orange box the other day...the guy behind the counter turned him away; said the RWS orange box was steel core ammo and not allowed on the range.

I've been using that cheap Federal 115 Grain 9mm ammo in the maroon box that Wally World has for like $9.97 and it works fine for me on the range....and the range dude lets me shoot it.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&H wouldn't let a guy use the 9mm RWS orange box the other day...the guy behind the counter turned him away; said the RWS orange box was steel core ammo and not allowed on the range.

That range guy is an idiot. RWS IS the leading ammunition producer in Demark. It's good quality stuff, Lead core copper Jacket.

Here's their web site:

RWS

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I just picked some of that up as they didn't have any other at my usual wally world...good to hear some good reports as I wasn't familiar with it and they had plenty of the stuff. So I bought a few boxes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom