Windmill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda works out that way.

The electric company charges you retail price, but only pays you wholesale for any electricity you put back into the grid.

I looked into this quite a bit when we had the 228 acre farm. Most days you could barely set down an empty 5 gallon bucket there without chasin' it. :/
The folks selling solar or wind systems to a home owner never release that information.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bet I have everything here in my yard to build a poor boy wind generator including inverters and batteries and the generator and stuff to make spinny
I have thought many times I need to build a small one just for experience.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They will remain as monuments on the Prairie if the landowners didn't have a tear down clause in their contract to cover when they are obsoleted or rendered inoperable.

This...

...my understanding is that when some of the wind farms up in Wyoming (I think that is where it was) were built, it was with the proper clause in place that they be removed at the "end of their life." Even if they worked until the need to be replaced came about, the company was required to have the money in trust or escrow somewhere to fund the removal.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda looks like a Piper wing...am I close? :)[/QUOT
Cherokee @ Oshkosh.JPG

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have read several articles about the farms in New York state have met their service life (20 years) and they have no way to dispose of the blades since they are mostly fiberglass, trash sites will not allow them. Supposedly thousand of blades are being stored till they figure out what to do with them

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read several articles about the farms in New York state have met their service life (20 years) and they have no way to dispose of the blades since they are mostly fiberglass, trash sites will not allow them. Supposedly thousand of blades are being stored till they figure out what to do with them

Was just in Norman earlier to photograph the fly-over by the military planes, and as we left, we got held up by a train carrying a lot of blades for the windmills. Each blade spanned 2 1/2 flat cars, so they arranged them so that the tips of the blades overhung an otherwise empty flatcar between the other 4 cars. They were going north, so I have no idea where they are built nor where they might be going.

Latest posts

Top Bottom