Windmill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have never seen blades on a train, see a lot on trucks coming up I35 from the Texas plant that manufactures them.
When my brother lived in Texas, I frequently saw the trucks hauling them heading north on I-35 while I was going south. My dad saw one that made a wrong turn and ended up on Green Ave in Purcell, looking desperately for a place to turn around.

I did see them on railroad cars while I was driving all over Texas last year.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
and the "anvil" my dad used for as long as I can remember was an 18" segment of rail that my uncle got for him. It's heavier than it looks, too.

When I worked at Southwestern Wire, they had a gas furnace that used pieces of railroad rail to keep the wire from slicing into the gas pipes under the sand. After a while those rails would get sliced up pretty good. Instead of buying new ones, they would just weld them back up and grind them flat. As luck would have it I was just learning to weld when they needed to change them (did this twice a year as you have to wait 3 full days for the furnace to cool before you can get inside it). For two solid days I did nothing but stick weld 4 rails back up. After the first 3 hours I found out real quick why you wear long sleeves, even in summer, when welding. To this day I still have a hatred for rails that is completely illogical, yet still there.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That yard east of Enid has been there for several years, and it just keeps getting bigger. Initially, you could drive by it on Highway 412 and have no idea it was there - you couldn't see a thing from the highway. Now, it stretches almost to the highway. They're hauling components out of there all over northern Oklahoma and southern Kansas (at least).

Southern Kansas, at least in the Garden City area, could also be getting windmill parts out of Pueblo, CO. Last we were through Garden City, they had rows and rows of blades, tower parts, and "head houses."

Windmill Parts in Garden City.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom