Window AC unit question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two large Window AC units in two different buildings that are both doing the same thing. Wondering if this is the nature of the beast or do I need to get them serviced.

In the mornings when the sun isn't so hot they both work great but in the afternoon heat the compressors cycle to the point where they aren't really cooling, just barely keeping the buildings a few degrees cooler than the outside temperature. The condenser fans are running and the coils are clean. Seems like the compressors go into thermal shutdown or???

Any ideas?

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when was the last time you cleaned the coils? if you know the coils have been cleaned then get them serviced or buy new units. you really need to take the face off and make sure they havent froze up. if they have you most likely need to charge em.

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like what mine do when they get too clogged up with dust. Cleaning them is a pain in the butt. I remove the unit and hose the dust out of every coil. Careful not to use too much water pressure; bent coils will not allow air to pass through and therfore are worthless. Today's window units have sealed systems and cannot be recharged without piercing the line and installing a valve which will probably leak. Two service techs advised me to buy a new window unit if my old one needed to be recharged.

Latest posts

Top Bottom