Yet another air conditioning question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Here, maybe a couple of you missed this thread..............

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/courtesy-and-civility-among-us.262288/

Is it too much to ask that everyone take a moment to remember that OSA is an Oklahoma Gun Forum first and foremost? The rude behavior and personal attacks are getting out of hand. We are supposed to be a community of like-minded folks who enjoy all aspects of firearms. The lack of civility and common courtesy is ridiculous and getting out of hand. If you want to get online and act like a jerk behind the safety of your keyboard, go find somewhere else to do it besides here. Please, think before you post; if you want to attack somebody, do it somewhere besides in an open forum. OSA is supposed to be a fun place; if that doesn't fit your plans, then you are in the wrong place.

Let's all try to be a little more friendly to one another. Thanks.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The saga continues. Compressor shut off again this afternoon. Put in the USA made capacitor I bought this morning.
Allegedly USA-made. The Chinese, et al., have been known to counterfeit that marking, brand names, logos, etc. Hell, they'll counterfeit labels on ten-cent razor blades because they can make them cheaper than the Indians and the Russians, then claim the extra quarter-penny in profit over what the genuine manufacturer would have made. It's a matter of volume.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@TwoForFlinching A simple solution around the issue saddlebum is saying could be an issue is to create a framework that is at least 12 inches larger than the unit itself with the ability to intake 360 degrees around the unit. This way the screen has a larger area for air to flow through reducing the suction pressure required. The only thing I would not do is disrupt the air flowing out of the unit.

But I would imagine that a set of coils that end up clogged with cottonwood fluff is probably about as bad if not worse than a screen attached to the outside of the system and probably a lot easier to clean from the screen than to try and get out of the coils. It's one of those double edge sword style conundrums.

https://www.achrnews.com/articles/88311-how-a-dirty-or-blocked-condenser-effects-system-efficiency should also help explain some of the issues due to reduced airflow which a screen will create. If you want to test it out get a box fan and run it on high and step in front of it, then toss a section of screen over the fan and feel the reduction of airflow.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Allegedly USA-made. The Chinese, et al., have been known to counterfeit that marking, brand names, logos, etc. Hell, they'll counterfeit labels on ten-cent razor blades because they can make them cheaper than the Indians and the Russians, then claim the extra quarter-penny in profit over what the genuine manufacturer would have made. It's a matter of volume.
It's no different in the US. My FIL ran a chrome plating shop in detroit for 30 years and the difference in the bid for volume work in the auto industry may have well been 1/4 cent between the winner and loser per item per volume.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@NightShade Much appreciated. I might create that framework next year when I put my screen back on for cottonwood season. Thanks for outsourcing useful information. You're a bro indeed.

No problem, just don't go spreading rumors though. I try to maintain my @$$#013 persona and I don't want to start tarnishing it with good words now. LOL

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made it through today with the new cap.
As to a hard start kit - my unit has a scroll compressor and there's no noticeable voltage drop in the house when it starts. I'll look in to it though, once I see if the unit keeps going the rest of the week. I looked at a couple of videos on how to install one and I don't feel confident about what I'd need to do at this point. As I told a contractor one time "If I wanted it f*d up I'd have done it myself."

Latest posts

Top Bottom