Yet another air conditioning question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saddle, some company manufacturers these screens for condensers. I tend to agree with you but if they make these screens they aren't going to accept any liability or they wouldn't make them-so they must do the job intended. I've used one for a couple of decades w/o any problems.
Just because your unit works doesnt mean it is working as effectively and efficiently as it should you just haven't noticed , you probably think those male enhancement pills really work too.

Look I have been an Hvac tech for 34 years ,5 of those as a test and evaluation tech in the engineering department of a major manufacturer here in Oklahoma, I know a little bit about it.
If you don't know that there are all kinds of things on the market that don't really work your being naive.

One .Example of what I'm talking about : the electrostatic washable filter ,even Paul Harvey touted it as the greatest filter ever,yet nearly every hvac manufacturer in the world will void their heat exchanger warranty because they restrict air flow just like screens around your condenser don't do it

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes Saddlebalm, I know for a.fact that some things that celebrities tout don't perform as they should. I only stated what I knew and based on your own words, you know far more than me regarding HVAC systems. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and certainly your candor.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replacing the capacitor for the compressor motor seems to have fixed the problem. Old part and new part are both Chinese - the only 55 microfarad caps the supply store had on hand had were Chinese though all the other sizes seemed to have non-Chinese parts. At least I know how to deal with it and the part is cheap (under $18).
Special thanks to eaglerjs for his guidance.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because your unit works doesnt mean it is working as effectively and efficiently as it should you just haven't noticed , you probably think those male enhancement pills really work too.

Look I have been an Hvac tech for 34 years ,5 of those as a test and evaluation tech in the engineering department of a major manufacturer here in Oklahoma, I know a little bit about it.
If you don't know that there are all kinds of things on the market that don't really work your being naive.

Well you have my attention. I keep the screen on while the cottonwoods spawn each Spring. I also clean the unit twice a Summer. right before turning the AC on in May, and again around July 4th. (Did it Wed morning) Can you site any studies or sources for screening a condenser? Not that I don't trust your experience, but I can only seem to find airflow references in terms of proximity to walls/structure/plants/etc... and opinions are often driven by ego. (like when someone regrets buying a Taurus, but their ego makes them recommend them to others)

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you have my attention. I keep the screen on while the cottonwoods spawn each Spring. I also clean the unit twice a Summer. right before turning the AC on in May, and again around July 4th. (Did it Wed morning) Can you site any studies or sources for screening a condenser? Not that I don't trust your experience, but I can only seem to find airflow references in terms of proximity to walls/structure/plants/etc... and opinions are often driven by ego. (like when someone regrets buying a Taurus, but their ego makes them recommend them to others)
While I was contemplating an answer it came to mind that I don't give a **** if your a/c shits the bed. So forget I even commented in this thread .........carry on

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replacing the capacitor for the compressor motor seems to have fixed the problem. Old part and new part are both Chinese - the only 55 microfarad caps the supply store had on hand had were Chinese though all the other sizes seemed to have non-Chinese parts. At least I know how to deal with it and the part is cheap (under $18).
Special thanks to eaglerjs for his guidance.

Order a non-Chinese one to keep on hand. Chances are you will need it.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I was contemplating an answer it came to mind that I don't give a **** if your a/c shits the bed. So forget I even commented in this thread .........carry on

Well that escalated quickly, my apologies if that rubbed you the wrong way. I'm the type of person that will change my mind if prudent evidence will suffice, but at least I can determine it's probably your professional ego speaking above actual fact. Carry on indeed.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that escalated quickly, my apologies if that rubbed you the wrong way. I'm the type of person that will change my mind if prudent evidence will suffice, but at least I can determine it's probably your professional ego speaking above actual fact. Carry on indeed.
Actually it's that I just don't care if you change your mind or not ,costs me nothin if your compressor dies prematurely

Latest posts

Top Bottom