Wondering if members can set up loaner program for dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy and I have pulled our reloading equipment out of storage and re-setting up. 4 presses and 20 or so die sets. Lucky to have a few thousand primers and lots of brass. Both shoot 9mm and 40SW in Glocks. I have not been able to purchase bulge buster type die. Need to run several thousand rounds thru a die. I have bullet molds in 357, 44, 45, 40 that I could do a loan or maybe just rent dies for a week. This shooting community knows that we are all in a bind for a while. I think it's time WE get creative and get things accomplished until hopefully things get back to normal. Send me a PM if you are interested. I can buy a carbide "bullet seating" die. I have access to a lathe and wonder the die could be bored out/cut off the top to remove the seating part of the die and make a push thru ram. Any one with a die that could measure the ID of the carbide ring?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can buy a carbide "bullet seating" die. I have access to a lathe and wonder the die could be bored out/cut off the top to remove the seating part of the die and make a push thru ram. Any one with a die that could measure the ID of the carbide ring?
What would you use to cut a carbide die?

Carbide can be ground... can it be worked otherwise? Diamond maybe? :anyone:

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The service manager at a local Chevy dealership has a customer come in and they give him old tire weights. He told me he cast and reloaded some ammo for him. Sounds like a good way to get lead on the cheap while it’s under the radar.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several carbide sizing dies. the carbide is contained within a ring or sleeve at the entrance to the die. this ring is maybe a press or shrink fit into the lower 1/2" or so of the steel die body. While I have not seen the Lee die, I believe it has the same type of carbide ring with the upper bore of the die larger than the carbide ring ID. This allows the full length of the brass case to be pushed thru the carbide ring using a ram that passes thru the carbide ring. I have both Bar-Sto and LW barrels in some of my gun. My buddy does not. Thousands of rounds of brass both from our guns and range pickup/purchased to run thru a die. With many bullet molds, I also have collected several hundred pounds of lead bullet alloy. Always looking for more.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would you use to cut a carbide die?

Carbide can be ground... can it be worked otherwise? Diamond maybe? :anyone:

Carbide dies are usually steel dies with a carbide ring insert installed.

Here is a cross section of a Dillon sizing die.

IMG_5977.jpg

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy and I have pulled our reloading equipment out of storage and re-setting up. 4 presses and 20 or so die sets. Lucky to have a few thousand primers and lots of brass. Both shoot 9mm and 40SW in Glocks. I have not been able to purchase bulge buster type die. Need to run several thousand rounds thru a die. I have bullet molds in 357, 44, 45, 40 that I could do a loan or maybe just rent dies for a week. This shooting community knows that we are all in a bind for a while. I think it's time WE get creative and get things accomplished until hopefully things get back to normal. Send me a PM if you are interested. I can buy a carbide "bullet seating" die. I have access to a lathe and wonder the die could be bored out/cut off the top to remove the seating part of the die and make a push thru ram. Any one with a die that could measure the ID of the carbide ring?

There are more efficient methods than a push through die.

How much brass are you talking about? I might be about to help if you have a mule to haul back and forth to OKC.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn’t the LoneWolf barrels support the entire chamber? Might be an easier fix.

It’s a common misconception, but it is not a Glock specific issue. Although Glock made it famous with the .40, many other guns do the same thing. We are seeing a bunch of bulged 9mm brass now because of PCC. Guys shooting 9mm major also bulge it. Open bolt machine guns do the same. It is rare for me to get once fired 10mm that is not 50% bulged and only part of that has been shot from a Glock.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can buy a carbide "bullet seating" die. I have access to a lathe and wonder the die could be bored out/cut off the top to remove the seating part of the die and make a push thru ram. Any one with a die that could measure the ID of the carbide ring?

I’ve never seen a carbide seating die. In most die sets the only carbide is the sizing die which is a steel die with a carbide insert ring/sleeve. The Lee Factory Crimp die also contains such a sleeve. See my previous post showing a sizing die.

Latest posts

Top Bottom