Words every son should hear from his father

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Never heard any of those things from my dad. He wasn't an addict of any drug (alcohol or otherwise) - but I did once overhear him tell my mother, when they were married, they he'd wished they'd never had kids cause we were expensive and always in the way. They weren't fighting and nothing drastic had just happened. He was very matter of fact about it. My mother filed for divorced him less than 30 days later and took her proverbial 'half' - I wasn't a part of that either (but brother was). I spent a lot of years feeling worthless.

Never looked at either of them the same again. My kids hear all the things I never did for that very reason. Being a bad parent because your parents were bad has never been a good excuse for me. I chose to break the cycle.

daddyof3_101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about I love you.

I make it a point to tell all 4 of my boys that at least once a day. It never fails to amaze how some "men" talk to their children

This signature is illegal in California

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I raised 2 daughters about the same way. Dads can and should take an active role in any child. Son or Daughter. Stepson or step daughter.

My goal was to be a better parent than mine. In my case it was easy, very very very easy.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outstanding post, We (Wife and 2 Sons) now only 1 son in house, tell each other we love you several times a day. When I was 18, I thought I was in Love. We were going to run off and get married. My Dad having to get up for work at 4am, waited on me to get home 1-2am. He took me to Denny's for coffee. He said if you are really sure about this I go with you to get her, but let me ask you this. How can Jimmy make a decision for Jim? That was the best advice, I have ever been given.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again for Number 4 and loving the wife. After 45 years of marriage, when I'm asked about the story of the success, I simply state the word "commitment" and explain that the commitment should begin before one even "pops the question."

Also, action says a lot by having a parent enthusiastically participate in what their kids do. I remember an afternoon when the wife and I went to play frisbee golf with our youngest son. While he didn't say anything, the comment from his friends that they couldn't believe that his folks would come play with him was one that struck home to us. I'm guessing here, but I think my youngest was in his early 30's at the time. I took his friend's comment to mean that their relationships with their parents wasn't so good.

Shoot, that same son still likes going to do things with us, including sharing our vacations. And, he will be 42 in June.

t_towner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really needed to read this. Thanks. It spoke to me today as a father of 6 (12 and under).

And my contribution:

We all end up somewhere in life but few of us end up somewhere on purpose.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good post.

I hope it makes a difference to some of you. Dad being proud was the most memorable thing he ever said to me. If you feel it they need to hear it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom