X-die for 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANNY-L

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
when you resize you still set the die to the original trim length dont ya? Have you had any split yet or lost any neck tension due to the brass getting thinner. Without reading back was you crimping or not?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when you resize you still set the die to the original trim length dont ya? Have you had any split yet or lost any neck tension due to the brass getting thinner. Without reading back was you crimping or not?

The die is setup on an RCBS die plate for a progressive press. I have not removed the die since starting the test - so it is still set at the original length. I assume that if you were moving the die in and out of position, then you would set it back to the original length using a reference case.

So far, no failed cases but the neck brass looks a little thinner to me. I wish I had thought to monitor the case neck thickness during the test. I do have the seating die set to put a crimp at the cannalure of the bullet.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm convinced as well. The X-Die has worked as advertised. I'm planning to shoot the rounds one more time and resize the brass for the 10th time, take measurements, and conclude the test. In the interest of safety it probably time to retire these casings. I don't see any visible signs of failure but as mentioned above the brass is probably getting brittle and it looks a little thinner to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom