1911 grips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a Rock Island compact (3.5") couple days back and it came with the factory smooth wood grips and a set of the Hogue wrap finger groove grips. The Hogue's are nice to shoot with so far, but I would like to change them to something thinner and lighter for carry purposes. Does any of the members here make grips, or is there anywhere local that sells decent grips? Would like to see them up close before buying really.

Also, the front sight post on this gun is kinda poor, and it is not dovetailed in. When I take the slide apart, I can look under the sight post and it looks like it just has a post sticking through the slide top that has been brazed/welded in a little bit. My question is, when shopping for a new sight what would the terminology be for this type of sight? And I'm thinking this will definitely be something for a shop to do. Thanks for any help/opinions, Clint

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know any local places, but you might check Brownell's and Midway for new grips. A lot of folks like the G10 grips, because they are thin and grippy.

It sounds like your front sight is pinned in place.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 more on the Ergo grips; Not as aggressive as skate board tape but aggressive enough for summer sweaty hands -- something I know a lot about!; Ergo sells different colors, with or without a magwell -- Government or Officers model. Lots of choices, not to hard on the wallet.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont forget your looking for commander size grips,,,,right?

I have a 2011/1911 100 anniversary model with combat sights , I put velcro on the front and backstrap's,,,,I kinda like the checkered wood grips.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a guy on Ebay (recommended on 1911forum) that sells G10 grips for $35-45; ordered a set and got them in, turned out really nice. Will try to get a before and after pic up sometime. Thanks guys, also spoke with Butch's in Woodward and might have their gunsmith install sights since they're pretty close.

Hi Power Okie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Raasco grips are nice. Here is my RIA compact tactical 9mm with Raasco cocobolo diamondwood grips, a pearce finger groove insert, and x-grip magazine grip extension for full sized magazines.
i1196.photobucket.com_albums_aa404_kingswitz_RIA_zpsc65a668f.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom