2014 Recommend A Lawn Mower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only have 1 1/2 acre. As much as I would like the 60", it is way more mower than I need.

Why? 60" would be great for that size of yard. I have a 54" just so I can get it through the gates in the backyards of my rentals. If it was just for my house, I'd have bought the 60". And if I was buying today, I'd bring home a full blown commercial model with a 72" deck.

I have a 2010 Hustler Super Duty w/ 25hp Kawasaki.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the mower I have for an acre an a quarter MOL with about 15 trees. I have the recycler kit on it. I love it and it has run flawless so far. I take good care of it and it looks brand new still. I just couldn't justify a commercial for another two grand at least for my yard size. This mower should last as long as we are here at this place.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Mowers/Zero-Turn-Mowers/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=TimeCutter-SS5060

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_27_vyqe7yme.jpg

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have looked at every zero turn around in the past couple weeks including the Bad Boy MZ Magnum 54". That was the salesmans #1 selling point was the fixed deck that you can stand on and it wont move. That was the one I was going to buy until it dug in and dug a divot in their yard while I was driving it.

Even their website states that the MZ Magnum has a floating deck with 3 leveling linkages and 2 Anti-sway bars.
http://www.badboymowers.com/bad-boy-shop/lawn-mowers/mz-magnum-lawn-mower sounds like your salesman doesnt know what he is talking about

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love my bad boy mower, starting my 4th season with it, I agree, get something other than the Briggs motor, that was the only model they had when I bought mine, wish I'd held out for the Kawasaki motor. My deck is rigid, but lots has changed since I bought that mower. I will definitely buy another one if the need arises, in fact I have thought several times about upgrading to a bigger mower!:naughty:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new lawn mower. The trusty old rotary reel is just falling apart, and my new place is too big (I'm too lazy to reel 1/2 acre) so I'm going gas.

I'm pretty skeptical about the "value" mowers, but don't want to sink $400-$500 into a seasonal tool E-10's gonna trash in a few years anyway.

What have you had luck with over the years?

From your post I take it you are looking for a push mower? Toro or Honda for something that will last. As for E10, use sta-bil in every can of gas, all thru the season and you will not have a problem.

I use it year round, started up my riding mower, push mower and trimmer on Tuesday. Everything busted right off and ran great, but I use sta-bil in my gas cans all thru the season.

Last edited:

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the mower I have for an acre an a quarter MOL with about 15 trees. I have the recycler kit on it. I love it and it has run flawless so far. I take good care of it and it looks brand new still. I just couldn't justify a commercial for another two grand at least for my yard size. This mower should last as long as we are here at this place.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Mowers/Zero-Turn-Mowers/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=TimeCutter-SS5060

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_03_27_vyqe7yme.jpg

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

I think thats what my landlady mows with. She loves it.

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mow11yards per week I bought a sears zero turn ,exact copy of cub cadet sold at home depot.little over 2grand. Different color paint. Use a honda self prpelled to trim.no.problems with either . Use 100 percent gas no ethanol.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the 42" Cub Cadet zero turn with the steering wheel. On the 3rd season with it now and it's been a great mower. Forgot to add that I bought a SP John Deere 21" mower in 1989. It was my primary mower till we bought the 1 acre lot in 2011. (Kawasaki powered)

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From your post I take it you are looking for a push mower? Toro or Honda for something that will last. As for E10, use sta-bil in every can of gas, all thru the season and you will not have a problem.

I use it year round, started up my riding mower, push mower and trimmer on Tuesday. Everything busted right off and ran great, but I use sta-bil in my gas cans all thru the season.

Good to know man. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, a tractor model is a little too much for my little patch of grass. I had been looking at a Toro, but Craftsman kept catching my eye.

Latest posts

Top Bottom