2016 Morels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it true you can get old, dried Morels, grind them and sprinkle the crushed powder on areas that will support growth so that they will return next spring?

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it true you can get old, dried Morels, grind them and sprinkle the crushed powder on areas that will support growth so that they will return next spring?

I cant say that its true, but I did this last year.

I have one area that I have found morels on my land and its in my grill/smoker area. I let quite a few dry up and went to 3 different areas that looked similar and scattered them about.

Got my fingers crossed.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/growing-morel-mushrooms.html#sthash.QYJAVLWQ.dpbs

Now that we know more about the mysterious morel, growing your own is certainly possible. Be aware that these are difficult mushrooms to cultivate, and it may take years before you see results.

Reading through the other morel pages on this site before you start will help you better understand their life cycle.

Below are a few different ways to grow morels, ranging from easier techniques to more difficult. I've included the grow kit and mushroom spawn approach, the spore slurry process, and a few other methods. With a little experimentation you can make one of these work for you!

Click here to share a morel growing story with visitors to this page!

[paste:font size="5"]Mushroom spawn is simply the mycelium, or "vegetative growth" of the mushroom, and the material on which it was grown. Spawn can come in the form of grain (such as rye berries), sawdust, woodchips, etc.

This mycelium-infused material is then used to inoculate larger batches of substrate to create a mushroom bed.

The easiest way to get spawn is by purchasing a morel mushroom kit, which you can do online. Your kit will arrive with some type of spawn or spores, and instructions on how to plant them.

Follow the instructions that come with your kit. Regardless of the company you purchase from, most will tell you to do some variation of these similar steps:

Prepare your morel bed:

• The site should be made between the summer and fall in a climate where there is an actual change of seasons. Morel mushroom kits don't do well in tropical environments with no real winter or spring.
  • Choose a shady spot and measure the dimensions. Most kits seem to be enough for a 4-foot by 4-foot square.
  • Prepare the soil. You want a sandy soil mix with adequate drainage, not too much clay or rock. A sandy soil with some gypsum and peat moss mixed in seems to work well.
  • Add some ashes from burned wood to your soil. Morels are known to spring up after forest fires, and ashes add nutrients and mimic a post-forest fire habitat.
Plant your spawn:

• Mix your morel spawn/spores into the prepared bed according to the instructions. This isn't complicated, and usually just involves spreading it through the top layer.
  • Mix some hardwood chips on top of the spawn bed. Morels grow near elm, ash, old apple, and tulip trees so use chips from one of these trees (preferably elm or ash).
Wait:

• The worst part! Although the mycelium is a fast colonizer, it may take a few years before it produces any actual mushrooms. Growing morel mushrooms is not a hobby for the impatient.
That's right, a few years. Don't get discouraged if nothing happens the following spring. Keep the area moist and nutritious according to your kit instructions. With some luck and the right conditions, you may someday have morels in your backyard!

- See more at: http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/growing-morel-mushrooms.html#sthash.QYJAVLWQ.dpuf

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and No. I have grown Morel mycelium in petri dishes using spores collected from freshly harvested Morels, so I know there are live spores in the mushrooms when picked, they should still be there when dried.

Just because you get mycelium growth doesn't mean you will get Morels. I have grown many jars of Morel mycelium and have yet to get one to produce a Schlerotia, which is what sends up the fruiting body(mushroom). The mycelium grows until it runs out of food in a certain area. Then the mushroom panics, forms a schlerotia and sends up a mushroom to complete the life cycle. There are MANY factors that determine how and when a schlerotia forms.

People have done it successfully, but there's a definite science to it and it isn't cheap nor easy. Otherwise Morels would be grown on a farm like button mushrooms.

So technically, if you toss out some Morel spores, you might or might not get them to grow. And if they do grow it might be many years before they ever send up a mushroom, might never send one up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom