27 Years Ago Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was working at the AT&T Manufacturing plant on Reno and Council. I had just come inside from taking a smoke break and was sitting at my desk when I heard the boom and it shook just a little. I remember thinking that was thunder but then I remembered it was a clear sky when I was outside just a few minutes earlier. A few minutes later my boss came up and asked if my wife was downtown that day. She worked at the plant too but happened to be on the Grand Jury that was investigating the County Jail problems and he knew that. Then he told me that a bomb had gone off downtown. Well she had just parked her car on the 3rd level of a parking garage 2 blocks away from the Murrah building and was walking to the elevator when the bomb went off. It had knocked her to the ground. She got up and went to the building where the Grand Jury was being held and all the windows were blown out in that room and was told everything was canceled and to try and go home. Had she been in that room she would have been sitting right in front of one of the windows she said. They wouldn't let her get her car out of the parking garage so she started walking until she found a phone to call me on. Or she might have had a cell phone at that time. I don't remember exactly. They had issued her a phone at the plant for her job but don't remember if she had it at that time or if that came later. Cell phones were still pretty new back then and not everyone had one like now. I told her to just start walking west and when she got somewhere where she could call and I could get to to pick her up to call me back. She called me from the Braums on Classen Blvd and I left work and went and picked her up. We then went home and watched the TV the rest of the day. I think it was about 4 or 5 days before they let us get her car out of that parking garage.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a (delayed) responder, spending time in the still intact Murrah buildings’ south end underground parking providing medical care, to get out of the inclement rainy weather. Nothing substantial had yet to be organized & set up. Eventually, the entire area became a functioning village to support all the operations that were going on. That awesome support was both governmental, as well as tons of donations, locally, & globally.

I met wonderful people / crews from all over the country, and Canada. Something changed that day.

( Interestingly, my brother was a 1st responder also , 911, getting the unique lung cancer many of them got from inhaling the dust particles, received government funded Memorial Cancer Sloan-Kettering treatment provided to those responders, and is cancer free today, Thank You Jesus ! )

God Bless all the survivors, responders, & families forever impacted.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a documentary that premiered April 11 in LA and NYC.
It's called American Bomber. The documentary will stream on HBO sometime in the future.
The documentary will include interviews of Timothy Mcveigh, one of which was conducted by Mike Boettcher of Ponca City. Only 4 people were allowed to interview him in prison, Mike was one of them.
Mike worked for NBC when the Murrah building was bombed and was onsite the next day with Katy Kouric who is producing the movie. At Mikes request out of respect for the survivors and family, were allowed first screening earlier this month at OU. The families of the 168 victims as well as 600 injured survivors got a sneak peak.
If anyone is not familiar with who Mike is, he has been a war correspondent and investigative journalist since 1980. He's been embedded with our troops in every conflict since then.
Survived a kidnapping in El Salvadore, and an explosion by a suicide bomber in Beirut.
Mike and his son spent two years imbedded with the 101st Airborne in Afghanistan. Afterward he produced a documentary about their time there called "The Hornets Nest". It can be seen on some streaming services including Amazon Prime.
He has also produced with his son a documentary I watched last night on Prime called "Citizen Soldier". It's about a group of Oklahoma 45th Infantry National Guard soldiers that got called up to fight in Afghanistan. Oklahoma's own band of brothers.
He may work for liberal media, but his documentaries have zero politics involved in them. He is an old school journalist that reports the facts and tells the story of what really happened. He is currently a "visiting professor" in the school of Journalism at OU.
Our families grew up across the street from each other, although he was younger than I and we never met but have always kept tabs on his career.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember that morning so well, I was working on the aft horizontal stab torque box of a 707/E3 trainer and listening to Rick & Brad on the KATT. When it happened I thought the hangar door was going to fall in on me.
One of the avionics guys I worked with, his wife had just hired on to the credit union and was suppose to start her first day, that day, however, by the grace of God both of their daughters had the some kind of bug and she was unable to start that day.
I was in my office at Sembach AB, Germany, IIRC. Guy at the desk next to mine was from Norman. Called his mom because his brother was supposed to have been working on the roof of the Murrah Building installing AC units. Three days after the bombing, the brother made it home. He'd been helping with search and rescue, as they''e been on a break at a cafe down the street instead of on the roof, but he'd forgotten to call his mom and tell her he was OK.

When I arrived here in early 1996, one of my troops had lost his new wife in the bombing. They'd gotten married the weekend before, and she was getting her name change paperwork done at the SSA office in the Murrah Building. Our unit had a porch swing dedicated to her, and a lot of people besides her husband were still missing her. She'd been one of those people who could brighten anyone's day, and they all missed her.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Others Unknown" by Stephen Jones, McVeigh's lawyer.

Dude's a liberal, not my kind of guy. His record of events - well documented are very much worth reading.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a couple of days into a firearm's instructor training class at FLETC. I received a message from my wife that a gas main had exploded and caused damage. Then the news started trickling out. My wife was supposed to go to work that day but stayed home with morning sickness. She felt the blast in Edmond. Our son had previously attended the day care in the building up until a few months before the bombing. We pulled him out because he was starting school in Edmond. We knew a lot of kids there. My wife originally worked at the credit union before she changed jobs and knew everyone there. And to this day, I still work with a lady who survived the blast and rode it down many floors. She was employed at the US Secret Service and is still working today. So many memories. So many funerals in a two week period....

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had just arrived at a client's manufacturing plant out near I-40 and Rockwell. For the first few minutes, everybody in the plant swore that it had to have been a 'sonic boom.' They even started taking bets on whether the crazy low-flying pilot was from Vance AFB out of Enid, or Tinker AFB in Midwest City.

But within minutes, one of the secretaries (who had a radio at her desk) informed us of the blast downtown.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a documentary that premiered April 11 in LA and NYC.
It's called American Bomber. The documentary will stream on HBO sometime in the future.
The documentary will include interviews of Timothy Mcveigh, one of which was conducted by Mike Boettcher of Ponca City. Only 4 people were allowed to interview him in prison, Mike was one of them.
Mike worked for NBC when the Murrah building was bombed and was onsite the next day with Katy Kouric who is producing the movie. At Mikes request out of respect for the survivors and family, were allowed first screening earlier this month at OU. The families of the 168 victims as well as 600 injured survivors got a sneak peak.
If anyone is not familiar with who Mike is, he has been a war correspondent and investigative journalist since 1980. He's been embedded with our troops in every conflict since then.
Survived a kidnapping in El Salvadore, and an explosion by a suicide bomber in Beirut.
Mike and his son spent two years imbedded with the 101st Airborne in Afghanistan. Afterward he produced a documentary about their time there called "The Hornets Nest". It can be seen on some streaming services including Amazon Prime.
He has also produced with his son a documentary I watched last night on Prime called "Citizen Soldier". It's about a group of Oklahoma 45th Infantry National Guard soldiers that got called up to fight in Afghanistan. Oklahoma's own band of brothers.
He may work for liberal media, but his documentaries have zero politics involved in them. He is an old school journalist that reports the facts and tells the story of what really happened. He is currently a "visiting professor" in the school of Journalism at OU.
Our families grew up across the street from each other, although he was younger than I and we never met but have always kept tabs on his career.
The documentary is on pirate bay and torrent sites. I watched it. They didn't pull any punches in regard to the government, past president's, politics, and the accusation that they settled for McVeigh when the investigation threatened the odds of conviction. It's a story at odds with the official record. We won't know how true this tale is, but our children's children might learn the truth when the records unseal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom