6.8 Western Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking of going with a different caliber for deer hunting, I have been deer hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor for the last 5 seasons and have filled my tags every year and even managed some depopulation does with it. I have not been all that impressed with it. Of course they all died....but most of them including my 2nd biggest buck to date all ran.... If I recall he ran about 150 yards before falling over..... most of them I would say half of them left very little in the form of blood.

Before that I use to just strictly hunt here in Oklahoma with a .243 or .308........ I am wanting something I can use here in Oklahoma and take to Wyoming or New Mexico.....

Anyone on here hunting with a 6.8 western?

How does it perform on whitetail?

Have you taken anything fairly large with it like Elk?

Thank you in advance.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got the Browning Hells Canyon in 6.8 Western and I love it. Super accurate and easy shooting. I haven’t had the opportunity to take it elk hunting but have read good reports about it and wouldn’t hesitate to grab it and go.

Mine has the longer barrel so would be better suited for open range/long distance hunting. It’s kind of cumbersome for blind hunting or in any kind of heavy cover. Other than that, no complaints from me.

I have a thread on here regarding my load development, testing, etc.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at the 6.5-.300 Weatherby, looks like a great round but I already have a .270 and a .300 Weatherby so there's no need really. But it's ballastic's are definitely impressive.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of it!

But I have heard if the 6.5x55 Swedish.

What is wrong with the 7mm rem mag?

My bet is Redding dies for 7mm rm are less expensive than Redding dies for the 6.8 western.

I just looked up the 6.8 western and see it was based off those winchester short fat cases that never really took off!

CrappieSlayer44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
All new calibers are just way to sell new guns.
I don't think I would agree with all that. Bullet technology along with technology in manufacturing is changing all the time. Do you still melt your own lead round balls over and open fire?

That's like saying the only thing to carry is the .45 acp...... when modern 9mm hollow points have came leaps and bounds in the last couple of decades.........

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to build a 6.8 Western but the lack of reloading components is what has stopped me. When has anyone seen a .277 projectile over 150 grns for sale? I have also wondered how it would do an an f open cartridge but again I havent found any heavy for caliber (especially a match bullet) to really try this cartridge. I am also biased and partial to the 270 win and wsm because I have killed a pile of deer with the both of them

Choprzrul

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They took a 270 WSM case, made it smaller and holds less powder, then specified a tighter twist barrel, and slapped a new label on the result.

Just rebarrel a 270 WSM with a 1:7.5" twist Bartlein and you will have a superior platform....minus their fancy new label

Better yet, buy a 6.5 PRC and load 85gr Hammer Hunters at 4000 fps for varmits, 118gr Hammer Hunter Tipped for deer, and 140gr Swift A Frames for elk, moose, black bear, etc., and 153gr Bergers for target work out to nearly a mile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom