7mm saum or .284 win?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is the .284 Winchester a good round? I inherited a lever action model 88 (I think) from my dad. I shot the gun a couple of times when I was younger, and the only thing I remember about how it shot was that it was loud and that it wouldn't completely eject a spent round.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you are going to invest big $$$$ in a custom rifle.... why in the world would you want to go with odd ball rounds?

odds are ... at some point you might want to sell ... custom rifles in oddball cambering are hard to sell.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you are going to invest big $$$$ in a custom rifle.... why in the world would you want to go with odd ball rounds?

odds are ... at some point you might want to sell ... custom rifles in oddball chambering are hard to sell.

Because its different? I don't sell guns, just buy them. I have several odd ball or obsolete calibers, as well as the current cool rounds. Don't know why I like the odd ball?obsolete rounds, but have found most of them to be = to some of the current offerings like the .300 Savage vs the .308? Identical ballistics, Identical bullet diameter/weight, but somewhere along the line somebody made the choice to go to .308 as the "cool round"?

buster11

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't konw much about the old model 88s, but the ballistics of the .284 are very impressive for its size and bullet class.
-CY- Well for me thats part of the "custom" thing, getting what I want. And if you look at the type of rifle i'm building, and then go check the clasifieds on some of the longrange websites like 6mmbr, snipershide, and others, you will see some rifles very similar to what I want and large number of them are in what most people would call odd ball calibers. 6.5x284, .284, .260 rem. and many more. Most of those rifles sell for plenty of money, but more importantly for me is getting a caliber i want, that does what i need it to, and will be fun reloading for. You cant say that shooting high bc 7mm bullets at 3000fps with good barrel life and not too bad recoil(less than a 7mm mag,7wsm or 7saum) doesn't sound really fun and excellent for long range hunting. So far the .284 does the above better than any thing i've found.
Oh and I only have enough money for one custom rig, and i plan on keeping it forever.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Odd ball? I guess I don't want to be a sheep and do what Joe Everyone is doing. I went with the 284 due to the bullet choices, accuracy, effeciency of the round, and mostly cause no one on else on the block had one!

buster11, I went with a SAMMI mininum chamber so I wouldn't have to mess with turning necks and this rifle was built for hunting. I had to throat the chamber a bit so we set the 162 A-Max to be .010 off the lands at a COL of 3.100" that way I had a little room left for the 180's but I have had such good luck with the A-Max that I haven't messed with the Bergers yet but this spring I would like to play around with RL-17 and the Bergers. I have my 243 that is one fun rifle to shoot! the 107 SMK's at 3050fps make for one flat shooting rifle and I have hit out the some way with ease, the 308 I'm begining to wonder if I'll ever find the time to finish but hey to get what you want in a rifle on a budget of not much it takes time but when I get there I know I'll have a smile! I'm glad to help out as much as I can and if you have any questions shoot me a pm if I know I'll tell ya if I don't well I'll tell ya. biggest thing when building a custom is don't get in a hurry! ordering stuff takes time these days heck my stock was 16 weeks and I thought that was a fast turn around. Later,

Kirk

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I need a new book. That 7mm RM load is hot and should run a little faster. Now the powder your running in the .284 must be something because it outruns all the old loads by 200-250fps per similar charge ie. H4831sc.
I'll let you know how my 7mm runs when I get it back.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a book or know of any load data for the Hybrid100V, I got some starting loads from the guys over at 6mmBR and loaded until I found a good accurate load then got out the CED and fired the rounds over it, a couple of guys told me I was right around 2K over pressure for the round but measuring the case and nothing showing me pressure signs. I'm on my 3rd loading of the same brass and no problems. This is nothing set up like a normal 284 Win and with the bullets seated out like they are I have a mess more case capacity. Go over to 6mmBR and take a look at the 284 Win information, some of the guys are pushing 3K with the 180's and RL-17. I started this rifle build then the LR BR guys started winning with the combination so I guess it was just dumb luck I wanted to build the 284, I just thought who has one that I know and I could come up with no one so me liking to be different I built it. Later,

Kirk

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

odds are ... at some point you might want to sell ... custom rifles in oddball cambering are hard to sell.

If you build a custom, get what you want. CY, ANY custom you have built will not get what you have in it, if you sell. I wouldn't call the .284 Win. an odd ball. UltraLite Arms sure sells alot of sheep rifles in that caliber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom